Eye cancer - A black hole
The general term used to describe many types of tumours starting from various corners of the eye are describes as eye cancer or intraocular cancer. When the healthy cells within the eye or around our eyes changes or grows in an uncomfortable fashion, it forms a mass like structure calling it as tumours. This tumour can be cancerous, which grow as well as it spread all over the other parts of the body. Cancer formed inside the eye i.e. the eyeball is called as the intraocular malignancy. Organ that collects light and sends message to the brain for the formation of picture is called as eye. Main part of eye constitute as follows:-
- Eye ball
- Adnexal (eye lid)
Risk factor leading to any kind of disorder is that it increases the chances of person developing that disorder more. Risk factor related to development of eye cancer is it does not directly causes cancer. Even some people with all the risk factor never develop cancer, while other who not even has 1% of symptoms in them may get affected. However, knowing your risk factors and talking about them with your doctor may help you make more informed lifestyle and health care choices.
Following are the factors which raises the person’s risk of cancer development
- Age :People at age of 50 years are often diagnosed with primary intraocular melanoma, but the average age of diagnosing the disorder is 55 years, it is very rare in children and people above the age of 70.
- Race :It is more commonly found in white people rather than black one.
- It does not differentiate between men or women; it affects both of them equally.
- People suffering from intraocular disorder have no symptoms. Many times, an ophthalmologist finds it out during regular eye checkups. The most common symptom is painless loss of vision.
- People with eye cancer may experience the following symptoms or signs. But many times people with eye cancer do not show any of these symptoms. Or, these symptoms may be caused by a medical condition that is not cancer.
- They have trouble seeing
- Losing of field vision
- Having a dark spot on the iris.
- Dark spots on iris
- Tears of blood
- Twinning of vision
- Shape and size of pupil is changed
- At the time of their vision light flashes in their eye
What should you do ?
- Many of the doctors after taking some medical test diagnose cancer, and diagnose that it has spread to another parts of the body called metastasis. Some tests may also determine which treatments may be the most effective. For most types of cancer, a biopsy is the only way to make a definitive diagnosis of cancer.
- Talking to the doctor if you observe more symptoms listed above is compulsory. Your doctor will ask how long and how often you’ve been experiencing the symptom, in addition to other questions. This is to help find out the cause of the problem.
- Medical condition of the patient and its age
- Result of previous tests
Besides the physical examination, following test may be used to diagnose eye cancer.
- Examination of eye: Most cases of melanoma are found during a regular eye examination. With the light instrument doctor examine the patients eye in a slit lamp
- Ultrasound:It uses sound waves for creating the picture of eye.
- CT or CAT (computed axial tomography) scans
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scans
- Surgical biopsy to confirm cancers of the orbit, eyelid
- Replacing another eye or radiation treatment is the form of treatment.
- Successful treatment should be included to prevent from eye disease.
- Restore the function of the eye structure and appearance in the eye and facial area after treatment.