You may want a have a few questions in your mind regarding tummy tuck. Here, we have discussed some of the questions.
1. What is Tummy tuck surgery ?
First of all it must be understood that Tummy tuck is a major cosmetic surgery and it is also known as Abdominoplasty. It involves excision of fat and skin under the effects of anesthesia. This will result in a flat abdomen. However, a scar may be left extending from the pubic area to anterior hips and abdomen. Tummy tuck surgery may involve relocation of the belly button as a large amount of skin may be removed from the lower abdomen. It will be interesting to note that tummy tuck was the only way to remove unwanted fat before the invention of Liposuction.
2. What are the advantages of Tummy Tuck surgery?
Tummy tuck may be useful in removing saggy skin, extensive stretch marks or stretched abdominal muscles in women, especially after pregnancy and childbirth. On the other hand , liposuction may not produce the desired result of removing the stretch marks. Tummy tuck surgery, also helps in removing excess loose skin from the abdomen.
3. What are the side effects of tummy tuck surgery?
After the surgery, you will have a slightly deformed appearance due to the presence of a scar extending from the pubic area to the abdominal areas. The scar can be hidden with enough clothing though. The belly button will be repositioned and reconstructed surgically. Tummy tuck may cause blood clots in the lung. It is best to discuss your fears with your surgeon and get answers to all your doubts.
4. Will there be pain after the surgery?Previously, Tummy tuck surgeries were painful. However, with advancement in science, there is a good control over the pain. The effects of anesthesia last for up to 3 days making recovery slightly better than the earlier procedures. Also, today there is less requirement of any narcotic medicines, which in turn reduces the chances of any reaction.
5. Are the results long lasting?
The answer is a big YES. Abdominoplasty is a permanent procedure and will last forever if your weight remains stable. Definitely your skin will age with time ,but it will never regain the old loose and 'saggy' look it had before the tummy tuck surgery.
You are advised to visit an experienced surgeon and know all the details about the surgery. You may also visit our website and select a surgeon near you after comparing from among thes many listed.