ICSI - Intra-Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection
Are you DREAMING OF DIAPERS? Birth of a child is one of the happiest feelings for any parent, which they celebrate each and every day. A lady always dream of having a child after her marriage, and bringing, a new one’s into this world with a smiling face. However, many times it becomes difficult for her to get pregnant. Honestly speaking many of them still face a problem to have a child with tear in their eyes.
Moreover, imaging a mother without child, just bring Goosebumps to any of the lady, where she has to listen many things from the society, she feels helpless. For all those women out who cannot conceive baby there is advanced technique introduced now a day’s i.e. In Vitro Fertilization or Test Tube Baby (IVF) this is a new technique to fertilize the egg and sperm outside the body.
A Test Tube Baby is a colloquial term for IVF that is referred to a baby that is produced through the scientific procedure of IVF. During the test tube baby process, the eggs are retrieved from the female partner and the sperms are taken from the male partner and mixed in a laboratory dish for embryo culture. However Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) is an additional treatment to In Vitro Fertilisation (IVF) that is particularly effective in treating male infertility issues.
What is ICSI?
1) Intra-cytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) is very different from IVF, in this doctor selects a single sperm that is to be injected directly to an egg, instead of fertilization taking place in a vessel or dish where sperms are kept near the egg 2) As a result to which your spouse can conceive a child. It is a most useful technique for men those are infertile and nearly it is used in almost all the IVF treatment 3) Whereas, ICSI only require a single sperm to inject directly in the egg, then the embryo is transferred to uterus of women
How is it carried out?
1) As per the IVF standard you will be given an fertility drug in order to stimulate the ovaries to develop the matured eggs for the fertilization 2) When your eggs are ready for the fertilization then you and your partner will be undergoing separate procedures 3) Your partner may produce a sperm sample by himself by bringing it out in a cup on the same day as your female partner eggs are collected 4) If there is no sperm in his semen, then doctors may extract sperm from him with help of local anaesthesia 5) Your doctor will use a fine needle to take the sperm from your spouse : * epididymis, in a procedure known as percutaneous epididymal sperm aspiration (PESA), or * testicle, in a procedure known as testicular sperm aspiraction (TESA) 6) If this technique do not remove enough sperm as required then doctor may try out other technique may be, he can undergo with biopsy of testicular tissue, which sometimes has sperm attached. This is called testicular sperm extraction (TESE) or micro-TESE, if the surgery is carried out with a microscope. 7) Many times TESE is carried out before the cycle of treatment begins with local anaesthesia 8) The sperm that is retrieved is then frozen, during the treatment there are possibilities to cause severe pain that can be treated with pain killers after that 9) After leaving you with a local anaesthetic, the doctor will remove your eggs with a fine, hollow needle 10) An ultrasound helps the doctor to locate the egg 11) The embryologist then isolates the individual sperm in the laboratory and injects them into your individual eggs 12) After the procedure these fertilised eggs become balls of cells termed as embryos. For further knowledge this treatment takes about 4 – 6 weeks to complete the procedure You with your partner are expected to spend full day at the clinic for the retrieval procedures
What are the success rates of ICSI?
1) As compared to IVF success rate of ICSI is higher depending upon the fertility problem and your age 2) Younger you are, healthier the egg may be produced and higher may be the chances, for the treatment to get succeed.
The percentages of cycles using ICSI which result in a live birth are:
Ratio in percentage (%)
• It gives you the chance of conceiving and giving birth to a child
• It helps the couple with unexplained infertility, through experts but they have found out that it makes pregnancy more likely than standard IVF
• But still the expert are not sure that the baby which will be delivered would be mental or physical