Heart Transplant Cost in India 2022
In this article, we will discuss the in-depth cost of a heart transplant surgery in India, the average expense of the same in different Indian cities, and the all-around expenses from pre-operation until the end of treatment.
A heart transplant is a type of surgery that replaces a diseased heart with a healthy donor heart.
The procedure focuses on treating the most severe heart conditions, such as end-stage heart failure. The average heart transplant cost in India is approximately ₹ 40, 00, 000 ($52, 500). However, this treatment cost is not just limited to the procedure alone. There are other charges the patient will have to look out for, such as check-ups, diagnosis, medications, etc., to be fully prepared.
The above-mentioned elements may increase or decrease your treatment cost, but it is unavoidable. Hence it may be better to be prepared for it in advance.
The heart transplant surgery price in India may be high, but in comparison with other countries. As per report, the heart transplant success rate in India is about 95% and paediatric heart transplants is about 81% between 2012-2019. According to an article published by WHO in 2018, India had the second-highest Heart transplant surgeries in the world.
What is the average cost of heart transplants in Indian cities?
The average price of heart transplants can range between ₹ 34, 28, 561 ($45,000) to ₹ 45, 71, 415 ($60,000) in major Indian cities. The exact heart transplant price in India may vary depending on different locations, hospitals and treatment centres. These additional charges will be further discussed below.
|AVG. MIN COST||AVG. MAX COST|
₹ 26,00, 000
₹ 26,00, 000
₹ 20, 00, 000
₹ 25,00 000
₹ 24,00, 000
₹ 26,00, 000
₹ 18, 00,000
₹ 26, 00, 000
This heart transplant cost in India is subject to changes depending on:
- Hospital type
- Room rent
- Duration in hospital
- Whether or not you have medical insurance
- Equipment used
- Medications, etc.
Although you can expect an ₹ 35, 00, 000 ($ 45,850) to ₹ 40, 00, 000 ($52, 500) to be the average cost of heart transplant in India, this number may be lesser or more which depend on the other miscellaneous factors. Always consult your doctor before choosing your surgery, speak with a specialist, check if your medical insurance is accepted, if any heart transplant donation price is available, or if any schemes may reduce your cost.
There are two types of treatment– orthotopic and heterotopic heart transplant surgery in India.
- ORTHOTOPIC HEART TRANSPLANT- This procedure involves the replacement of the diseased or failed heart with the healthy one from a donor. This surgery is the most common type of heart transplant surgery performed in India and around the world. ₹ 34, 34, 900 ($ 45, 000) approximately is the average cost of this heart transplant surgery procedure.
- HETEROTOPIC HEART TRANSPLANT- This is a lesser-known or less commonly performed surgery. This type of transplant requires surgically connecting the donor's heart to your own heart. This implies that your heart also remains within your body. The donor's heart provides an auxiliary pumping function for your sick heart. ₹ 45, 79, 900 ($ 60, 000) is the average cost of heart transplant surgery in this type of procedure.
There may be other types of multi-organ transplants that are carried out along with heart transplant for patients who are suffering from multiple organ failure simultaneously. These treatments include:
• KIDNEY-HEART TRANSPLANT- In this procedure, the patient undergoes surgery to replace both their diseased heart and failed kidneys in exchange for a healthy one. The cost of this treatment will be approximately ₹ 20, 00, 000 ($ 26, 250) for the heart transplant with an additional ₹ 6, 00, 000 ($8, 500) for a kidney transplant.
• LIVER-HEART TRANSPLANT- This is a combination of heart transplants along with liver transplants for patients with both heart and liver complications that cannot be treated with medications or other surgery. The cost of a heart-liver transplant will be approximately ₹ 20, 00, 000 ($26,250) for the heart and another ₹15, 00, 000 – 18, 00, 000 ($23,625) for the liver transplant.
What are the pre & post operative costs for heart transplants in India?
The pre-operative costs and charges include:
- Doctor’s fee- ₹ 1000-1500
Pre-operative tests and diagnostics such as:
- Blood test- ₹ 200-250
- Immunological evaluations- ₹ 1900
- Kidney function test (KFT) - ₹ 600-1000
- Alcohol, tobacco and drug levels test- ₹ 1850
- Imaging tests such as:
- X-rays - ₹ 400
- Computed tomography (CT) scans- ₹ 2500-5000
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), ultrasound (echocardiogram) - ₹ 6000-10, 000
- Electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) - ₹ 200-500
- Pulmonary function testing- ₹ 500-800
The post-operative charges may include:
- Room rent- ₹ 40, 000 to 75, 000
- Medications- ₹ 10, 000 to 15, 000 per month
- Follow-up sessions- ₹ 1000
- Hospital care (nurse, food, etc.) - ₹ 3000- ₹ 6000
However, the combined heart transplant surgery cost in India appears to be cheaper and more affordable compared to other countries. Indian hospitals provide state-of-art care and procedures using advanced treatment equipment. You will get international quality and medical treatment standards in the best heart transplant hospitals in India. Some of these hospitals are accredited by the National Accreditation Board for Hospitals and Healthcare (NABH) and Joint Commission International (JCI). All this is still provided at a relatively less competitive price.
Cost of Hernia Treatment
45, 000 to 60, 000USD
1,000,000 to 1,400,000 USD
What are the factors that affect the cost of heart transplants in India?
- Choice of hospitals - public, charitable, or independent/private.
- Whether you use insurance, what form of insurance do you have, or if you pay for it yourself.
- The facility's accreditation
- The hospital's reputation and brand value.
- Surgery Technology / Approach Type
- Choice of anaesthesia or sedation selected.
- Expertise / Qualification of the Specialist
- The extent of the operation that is required
- Diagnosis of the patient
- The patient chooses the patient's general health Room Category.
- In addition, the patient may require additional treatment.
- Doctors, surgeons, anaesthesiologists, physiotherapists, skilled nurses, nutritionists, and other healthcare team members are paid.
- The cost of diagnostic tests
- Medication prices
- Stay in the hospital
- Outpatient treatment centre