DHI stands for Direct Hair Implantation. The DHI Hair Transplant or the direct hair implantation is actually a modified version of the FUE hair transplant technique in which extraction is followed by the implantation process simultaneously. It is a form of natural hair transplant.
Pioneered by DHI Medical Group in the year 2003, DHI technique is regarded as the most advanced and effective technique for hair restoration. Moreover, DHI hair transplant is one of the most known methods of hair transplantation which doesn’t apply any surgical procedures to your hair roots.
What is the Goal of DHI?
To add to efficiency and feasibility in the FUE hair transplant technique that is the most result-oriented.
According to some researches, it is a new method of Non surgical hair replacement and non shaving transplantation technique. Actually, this hair transplant treatment is a painless procedure that is performed using precise micro-surgical tools.
What is DHI Hair Transplant?
DHI method/ technique is an advancement of FUE method where the hair follicles are extracted from the donor area via utilizing a micro surgical tool and then transplanting them into the recipient site using DHI Implanter , a pen-like device that contains a hollow needle.
The tools used in DHI treatment/ technique are US patented and single-use. They provide angle, depth, and direction to a surgeon thereby ensuring the natural-looking hairline. DHI technique is performed by MD surgeons only who are certified by London Hair Restoration Academy.
DHI IMPLANTER ( CHOI IMPLANTER PEN)
- The Choi Implanter is a pen-like device featuring a hollow needle attached to a tube and plunger apparatus.
- During the procedure with the Choi Implanter, the physician/technician loads harvested follicular units into the implanter pen.
- Then using the forceps, the graft is placed gently into the hollow needle (at the end of the implanter) and handed back to the physician.
- The surgeon then inserts the needle at an appropriate angle in the scalp (making the incision site) and implants the graft by pressing down on the plunger.
- Normally, anywhere from 2-6 Choi implanters are used concurrently during a procedure, and the device comes in a variety of needle sizes to fit single, double, and triple follicular unit grafts which are US patented and are used only once.
How is the DHI Implanter used?
- Hair follicles are placed one by one into Choi’s implanter. However, care should be taken while handling the grafts as they are very delicate.
- The most suitable angle for inserting the grafts in the tool is 45° to 50°.
- During the operation around 2-6 choi pen and 14-16 choi needles are used.
- According to the thickness of hair and root appropriate pencil is used during the procedure.
What are the 3 steps in DHI hair transplant procedure?
- EXTRACTION PHASE: Hair follicles are extracted one by one from the donor area using a specifically designed disposable tool with the diameter of 1 mm or less. Then the follicles are kept at a specific temperature in a solution that enhances their development after placement, without separating, cutting or generally handling the grafts.
- PLACEMENT PHASE: Right after the extraction process, the hair follicles are implanted directly into the region suffering from hair loss using a patented tool, the DHI Implanter, with a diameter of 1 mm or less. And you know what’s the best part is ? The doctor does not need to create prior holes or slits before implantation.
- NATURAL RESULTS: Since, there is full control of the depth, direction and angle of the placement of each graft, it will ensure 100% natural results giving maximum visibility. This assures that the implanted hair will never fall out and will grow for a lifetime. DHI provides a guarantee on graft survival ratio of 90% implanted hairs. It is a form of natural hair transplant.
How long will the Surgery last?
- The duration of Direct Hair Implantation procedure depends on the extent of the patient’s hair loss.
- A patient with a small amount of hair loss may only require a small session lasting around 3-4 hours, whereas an individual with extensive hair loss may require a 2-day procedure, each day lasting around 6 hours.
- Generally, the actual procedure can take you up to 6-7 hours in one sitting.
- Doctors and their team work efficiently, and don’t rush it to ensure the precise implantation of every hair, guaranteeing natural hair transplant results.
Recovery Process after DHI Hair Transplantation
- After the DHI Hair Restoration is completed, crusting will be seen in the transplanting area within 5-6 days.
- It takes about twenty days for these crusts to heal and fall off.
- Within three months you can see your fresh, bushy and new hair.
- However, it will take a year for you to see all your transplanted hair.
What is the cost of Direct Hair Implantation?
- Hair transplant is an innovative medical procedure which, when performed by certified physicians in the field, gives a permanent solution to hair loss.
- It improves not only the patient’s appearance, but their self-confidence as well. By contrast, a failed hair transplant exaggerates the problem by only providing a temporary solution, at best.Hence a finest and optimum choice has to be taken.
- The cost of hair transplant is the main query that needs to be addressed before choosing the method of transplantation. DHI hair transplant cost is principally determined by the number of follicles required to ensure best results to a patient. Generally it is Rs.100 per follicle and the whole DHI procedure ranges from Rs.1.5 lakh to Rs.4 lakh. However, it is not possible to give an accurate estimate over the phone or online.
- You will have to meet the experts at clinics near you for a comprehensive hair and scalp consultation. Post consultation the doctor will be in a better position to tell you the exact cost of the treatment.
Usually, all the countries do not have a uniform price for DHI.There might be a vast difference between the cost in the developed countries and developing countries. While making the decision it is better to compare the prices between the countries. Further, it is not uncommon to see people travelling to different countries for hair transplantation.
Breaking the Myth of DHI
A lot of people think that DHI hair transplant is too expensive to even consider or it is usually done by the rich and the famous. In this misconception, they lend their trust to uncertified clinics. Before deciding to do anything like this, you must evaluate long-term effects of cheap hair transplant option. These cheap procedures can give unnatural results and leave scars for a lifetime.
A lot of people are now considering DHI for its high success rates and natural results. Additionally, the survival rate of follicles is less than 50% as compared to more than 90% offered by DHI technique. DHI Hair restoration treatments have become even more convenient and affordable with the availability of a variety of financing options.
What are the advantages of DHI Technique?
- Reduced time of grafts remaining outside the body enhances the survival rates.
- Reduced bleeding during the creation of the recipient area.
- Reduced trauma during follicle handling, thus leading to less damage in the blood supply to the implanted area.
- Fast recovery during the post-operative phase, the patient can return back to his/her normal routine quicker
- The recipient site does not have to be shaved, as it is a more suitable procedure that enables this condition.
- It is also ideal for women since hair shaving is not necessary in the area to be transplanted.
- The operation does not include any incision or sewing processes
- As the extraction and placement can be carried out simultaneously, the plantation phase is shorter
- The operation does not cause any scars or traces of implantation Provides magnificent symmetry on the front hairline.
- The angle and direction of each hair follicle can be accurately determined.
What are the disadvantages of DHI Technique?
- Generally, it is a more costly procedure when compared to other hair transplantation methods.
- This method requires more attention as well as accuracy during the procedure which can cause the operator stress. Due to this it could likely affect both the extraction as well as the implantation process, causing possible damage while handling the grafts.
What are the risks associated with DHI Technique?
- If you are at risk of responding badly to local anesthesia then there could be a potential danger of undergoing DHI.
- If you have concerns about this due to any past or current medical conditions then you should discuss this with your general physician in the first instance and make sure that you also discuss it in detail with your doctor
- There is a risk of infection. But since, DHI involves moving single follicles at a time, the risk of infection is very minimum.
- The immediate result of your DHI procedure could result in your friends and family noticing that you have had a hair replacement treatment, so if you are worried about this then you may want to consider this as a potential risk of DHI.
- However, the immediate effect of the DHI procedure is probably more of an advantage than a risk if you wish to improve the hair coverage of your head as soon as possible.
The DHI Procedure: What To Expect?
- Highest Graft Quality and Natural Results
- Direct Hair Implantation is a very safe procedure with low risk of complications, and a very high rate (over 90%) of hair survival. DHI method is superior to other hair transplant methods currently available. Not only will DHI help in restoring your hair but also your confidence, permanently by giving it a natural look
- A Complete Pain Relief Method in Hair Transplantation
- Thanks to the use of sedation given under the direct supervision of the Anesthesiologist (An anesthesiologist is a doctor (MD or DO) who practices anesthesia), you will no longer feel any pain during the administration of local anesthesia prior to the hair transplant procedure.