What is eyebrow hair transplant?
Let us discuss about the procedure, side effects, precautions, eligibility criteria of eyebrow hair transplant and find reasons for eyebrow hair loss.
Eyebrow transplant is a surgical process, which gives you a permanent solution for overly thin, scarred, damaged or missing eyebrows.
Eyebrow hair transplant is a process of removing hair from the donor area and transplanting it to the brows.
Where do you get the donor hair?
Generally, your extracted hair grafts with one or two hair follicle are considered as donor hair for an eyebrow transplant.
For female, the donor hair region is from the nape, back of the scalp, the region around the upper thighs, and the region behind the ear.
In case of a male, back of the scalp, beard, region behind the ear and nape acts as donor hair.
How many grafts are required for eyebrow hair transplant?
For full eyebrow transplant around 400-600 grafts are required.
Depending upon your design, density and current thickness the number of grafts required will vary.
Is there a difference between eyebrow hair transplant and scalp hair transplant?
Eyebrow transplant is similar to hair transplant procedure but there are some minute differences
Recipient Site Creation: The tiny holes created at the region of implantation for inserting the follicular units.
Grafts: Grafts are nothing but tissue containing 1-4 hairs. Grafts are also known as follicular units.
|Scalp Hair Transplant||Eyebrow Hair Transplant|
|Donor Hair Length||The length of donor hair is of 1-2mm||The length will be 3-4mm to assess the curls|
|Follicular Units||1-4 hairs||1-2 hairs are most preferable for natural look|
|Recipient Site Creation||Implants scalp hair at an angle of 30° - 40° angle||Implant as flat as possible to the skin|
|Grafts Placement||Grafts are placed straight in||Rotate individual hairs to match the curves of existing hair|
|Design||The hairline is irregular||Eyebrow hair direction is horizontal in middle and sloping downwards at the tail region|
|After Care||Regular Haircuts are required||Regular trimming is required according to the hair growth|
After knowing all the other information, you must be really interested in knowing how eyebrow transplant is carried out:
Eyebrow hair transplant procedure
- Designing the eyebrow: Initially, the doctor recreates the eyebrow design known as the desired eyebrow. The patient can also give inputs for their desired eyebrow so that it can eliminate the gap between expectation and outcome.
- Anesthesia: Before the surgery, to reduce the pain, local anesthesia is given to the donor area as well as to the Recipient area i.e. eyebrows.
- How the donor hair is extracted? Extraction of grafts in eyebrow hair transplant is similar to the extraction of hair grafts in hair transplant. In case, of scar or a small part of eyebrow hair transplant, the doctor will measure the diameter of the eyebrow and match it with different parts of the scalp and the best match will be the donor site.
- Extraction with FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction): Unlike the normal FUE hair transplant, for eyebrows, the donor hair extracted from the scalp, length is more i.e. 3-4mm. This is because for assessing the curls of the donor area. Neo-Graft is the tool used for extraction and done by using air pressure and suction. Usually, for extraction of the hair follicle 0.75-0.80 mm hole is made.
- Extraction with FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation): The doctor will remove a strip of skin containing donor hair from back of the scalp. The length of the strip depends on the required number of hair grafts. FUT technique is considered when the donor area is a scalp. Generally, hair grows in a follicular unit of 1 to 4 hairs. Nevertheless, for eyebrow transplant, the doctor usually uses a follicular unit of 1 to 2 hairs for a natural look.
- Implantation of donor hair: To decrease the death rate of hair follicle doctor will implant the grafts, which were extracted first. For the natural look of an eyebrow, they implant primarily follicle with one hair and occasionally two at a time. After extraction, the hair grafts are placed in saline solution at 80°C for increasing the survival rate of hair follicles. The doctor will do implantation either with an implanter pen or by using a needle and surgical forceps. While using the implanter pen, the doctor will place the hair grafts consisting of one or two hair follicles in to the implanter pen needle and then punch it into position.
Why do people consider an eyebrow hair transplant?
- Improper eyebrow may be the outcome of genetic factors, hormone imbalance, alopecia areata, psoriasis, and thyroid.
- In addition, the medical condition that causes hair loss for the scalp can be a reason for eyebrow hair loss.
- Even chemotherapy or radiotherapy can be one of the causes of hair loss on the eyebrow.
- Aging is also one of the main reason for eyebrow hair thinning or hair loss.
- Physical reasons like over plucking, accidents, burns, trauma, and injuries.
- Lack of proteins and vitamins, particularly iron is also a reason for eyebrow hair loss or thinning.
- Excessive intake of certain vitamins can also be a reason for eyebrow hair loss.
- Makeup item like brow pencil can cause brow loss.
The right candidate for eyebrow hair transplant?
- Person with no eyebrow hair or scars on the eyebrow.
- If you want to reshape or redesign your eyebrow.
- Age should be above 25.
- People should not have any bleeding or clotting problems.
- The patient should contain sufficient donor hair.
Surgery and recovery time for eyebrow hair transplant
The time for surgery mainly depends on:
- Redesigning of eyebrow
- The number of grafts to be implanted.
The time for surgery is less than one day and you can resume your normal activities from the next day itself.
Eyebrow growth process after your surgery
- Do not get panic initially after 2-6 weeks; the transplanted hair will shed off.
- Then new hair starts growing from the root.
- You can see a noticeable growth after 3-6 months.
- After 7-8 months, you can observe a fully-grown eyebrow.
Precautions before Eyebrow Transplant
- Avoid using anti-inflammatory drugs and blood thinners at least 1 week prior to the surgery or as directed by your surgeon.
- Inform the doctor about the ongoing medication (if you are under any medication) and history of medication.
- Stop consuming alcohol before 3-4 days.
- Stop consuming nicotine-containing products before 1 week (smoking, chewing tobacco, nicotine gums/patches, cigars, etc.)
Precautions after Eyebrow Transplant
- After transplantation, a gauze bandage is tied around the donor area.
- Don’t consume alcohol for 3-4 days after the surgery
- Hold back smoking for 2-3 weeks.
- Do not do heavy exercises and workouts immediate after the day of surgery.
- Avoid driving on the day of surgery because you are under anaesthesia
Precautions on the day of surgery
- One can have breakfast on the day of surgery but avoid spicy food as it may cause gastric trouble.
- Wear comfortable clothes because surgery takes 4-6 hours.
- Avoid caffeinated products.
What are the side effects of eyebrow transplant?
- Swelling - Due to local anaesthesia injected in to the scalp and eyebrow during the treatment, the patient will experience swelling but it will subside after 1 to 2 days.
- Scalp pain - It is normal to feel some pain because many punches are given to donor area; however, the doctor will prescribe some painkillers.
- Numbness - Due to local anesthesia patient will lose sensation for some time.
- Redness - Redness in donor area lasts up to 1month.
- Soreness - For a few days, you might experience some soreness in the donor area.
- Itching - you may feel itching due to scab formation at recipient area i.e. eyebrows.
- Scars - If FUT technique is used it will leave a scar at the donor area.
Medically reviewed by Dr. Shankar Sawant - MD - Dermatology, MBBS