What is the Bone Marrow Transplant Cost In India?
Here you will get the cost of bone marrow transplant in India. Also, know the cost for the type of bone marrow & additional cost required for bmt.
The bone marrow transplant cost in India ranges from ₹ 15,00,000 ($20,929) to ₹ 40,00,000 ($55,816) depending on which transplant you are recommended.
We know you’re undertaking a major procedure and the cost of it is very high. Bone marrow transplant cost in India is highly-economical. It is also the best place to get your transplant as we have some of the most reputed hospitals with hematologists and oncologists who are specialists in BMT.
For your reference, below we have discussed in detail about the bone marrow transplant cost in India.
Here is an estimated bone marrow transplant cost in India by types (depending on the recommendation of your consulting oncologist):
|Types of BMT||BMT Cost In India|
(INR and Dollar)
|Autologous Bone marrow transplant||₹15,00,000 - ₹17,00,000 ($21,013 - $23,652)|
|Allogeneic Bone marrow transplant||₹25,00,000 - ₹30,00,000 ($35,022 - $42,027)|
|Haplo-Allogeneic Bone marrow transplant||₹35,00,000 - ₹40,00,000 ($49,031 - $56,036)|
*To be on the safer side be prepared for 5% to 10% variation on the estimated cost depending on your condition. These charges include hospital stay for a specific period, surgeon’s fees, operation theatre charges, anesthesia charges, and meals for the patient and one companion.
You must be wondering why the cost of bone marrow transplants differs in different types of transplants? Here are the factors which will tell you the reason why:
- Your condition: Depending on the type of cancer or disorder you have you’ll be recommended a type of transplant.
- Age: Age of the patients is also a factor that affects the overall bone marrow transplant cost. Treatment cost is higher for patients under 20 or pediatric patients. This is because their care and total stay in the hospital is usually higher.
- The type of transplant: As we know there are three types of transplants. Following are the different types of bone marrow transplants:
- Autologous Bone marrow transplant:
- Your own bone marrow is used for this type of transplant.
- Autologous costs are less as compared to allogeneic transplants.
- Allogeneic Bone marrow transplant:
- Bone marrow from a 10/10 HLA matching donor (preferably a sibling) is used for this type of transplant.
- Cost is higher when it comes to allogeneic because here you have to pay not only for yourself but also for your donor when it comes to tests, facilities, lab works, etc.
- Haplo-Allogeneic (Haploidentical) Bone marrow transplant:
- When bone marrow is used from a donor (your children, parents, sibling) that has a partial HLA match to you.
- Cost is even higher in Haplo-Allogeneic transplant as the procedure is a lot more complicated so the cost and number of tests increases.
What could be the additional costs in BMT?
If you’re thinking of bone marrow transplant cost in India or anywhere else in the world be prepared to shell out money for post and pre-transplant facilities. As you have to additionally pay for the facilities that such as tests, chemotherapy, post-transplant monitoring, etc.
And So that it does not come as a shock to you when you’re in India, we have prepared a detailed guide of all the additional facilities you’ll be charged for.
First, we want to discuss all the costs that come under pre-bone marrow transplant stage:
In this stage, you will go through steps that are essential preparations for the bone marrow transplant procedure. This is the most critical stage as it lays down the foundation for the treatment.
Following is a complete guide of not only all the necessary steps you will have to take before the bone marrow transplant but also discusses the costs you will incur during this stage:
For your convenience we have elaborated each and every step for the Pre Bone Marrow Transplant costs below:
Pre Bone Marrow Transplant costs:
|Pre - procedure tests and treatments||Cost Estimation|
|Health checkup||Physical examination and health check up with your doctor might cost around ₹600 ($8) - ₹5000($70)|
|All investigations||There are a number of investigations which will be required like a blood test, PFTs and RVG for the heart, Electrocardiogram (ECG), Chest and Dental X-ray, etc which will set you back by around ₹55,892 ($800) to ₹69,865 ($1000)|
|HLA typing is only required in case of an allogeneic/haploidentical transplant which costs around ₹80,000 ($1,112.53) additionally.|
|Chemotherapy||Cost of chemotherapy is approximately ₹1,04,797 ($1500) to ₹1,25,077 ($1800) per chemo cycle.|
You may also have to pay for Induction chemotherapy that will cost you approximately ₹1,38,974 ($2000) to ₹2,08,462 ($3000).
|Radiation Therapy/ Radiotherapy||A rough estimate of the cost for Radiation treatment based on the procedure or technique can range between ₹1,66,770 ($2400) to ₹4,86,955 ($7000) depending on the package.|
|In case of allogeneic transplant, there are a number of tests and expenses related to the extraction of stem cells. So we have to consider stem cell transplant costs in India or for that matter the country in which the treatment is going on. This is more expensive in a haploidentical transplant.|
|Medication||Medication prescribed for your recovery.|
|Pre - operations cost||Pre-operations cost, medication costs, documentation costs etc.|
What costs come under the Post-bone marrow Transplant stage?
Once you are done with the transplant the work is not finished. There are steps taken to monitor the progress of the transplantation in a patient and to ensure recovery and keep infections at bay.
But in case of unforeseen situations, unanticipated monitoring, extended stay, etc, requirements will be charged separately. This is not included in the transplant cost and hence it comes under the the post-transplant stage.
For your convenience we have elaborated each and every step for the Post Bone Marrow Transplant costs below:
Post Bone Marrow Transplant Costs:
|Monitoring and requirements|
|Medications cost||There will be many expensive medicines prescribed to you after the transplant.|
|Any additional service availed||Any extended hospital stay and use of services|
|Other consultation||Any other consultation with your doctor and other consultations.|
|Complications management and unanticipated care||The cost of monitoring and treatment for complications management and unanticipated care is separate from the transplant cost.|
If for any reason you have stay beyond the stipulated period, you will be charged separately.
|Follow - up costs||After the transplant, you will have to follow up with your doctor regularly for your health check up.|
Why India has become the hub for bone marrow transplantstayed?
Bone marrow transplant cost in India with comparison to other countries:
|USA||₹2,47,36,250 - ₹ 5,65,40,000 ($350,000-$800,000)|
|United Kingdom||₹1,64,89,184 - ₹4,12,22,960 ($233,310- $583,275)|
|Germany||₹70,67,500 - ₹1,76,68,750 ($100,000-$250,000)|
|Turkey||₹35,33,679 - ₹70,67,500 ($49,999-$100,000)|
|India||₹15,00,000 – ₹40,00,000 ($21,013-$56,036)|
The reasons for variations in costs between India and other developed countries are:
1. Currency: Basically the Indian currency is lower than the USD, pounds, euro, etc. So obviously everything is cost-effective here. Be it your stay, medical treatment, or consultation, everything will cost you far lesser when compared to other countries.
2. Standard of living: The standard of living is quite low in India than the other developed countries such as the USA. So the prices of facilities are it in the field of transport, overall stay, food and medical treatment are cost-effective.
3. Competition: There are many Bone marrow transplant centers in India, so you have a wider choice according to your budget of hospitals of your choosing. Since all of them have BMT related technology and specialists with cost-effective treatment.
4. Hospitals: Many hospitals in India, be it government or private, offer bone marrow transplant facilities. So, you have a wider option to choose by comparing the bone marrow transplant costs in India, as the prices may vary among them.
5. Doctor: Basically, here in India the doctors charge less compared to doctors in the other developed countries. This is one of the major reasons for the cost-effective bone marrow transplant price in India. However, the charges of doctors may vary according to their popularity, experience, and the hospitals where they practice.
There are a few other factors why getting bone marrow transplants in India is a good option.
Even though there is a huge difference in the amount compared to developed countries it does not mean Indian hospitals compromise in their quality.
Why you should get a bone marrow transplant in India?
- You will find some of the internationally accredited BMT centers in India.
- Here in India, the BMT doctors are extremely trained and experienced.
- Not only are they highly experienced but also have participated and led various cancer and BMT centered research in countries like the USA, UK, Canada, etc.
- The technology and infrastructure required for BMT are on par with the developed countries.