What is the Bone Marrow Transplant Cost In India?
Here you will get the cost of bone marrow transplant in India. Also, know the cost for the type of bone marrow & additional cost required for bmt.
The average bone marrow transplant cost in India ranges from ₹ 15,00,000 ($20,929) to ₹ 40,00,000 ($55,816) depending on which transplant you are recommended.
We know you’re undertaking a major procedure and the cost of it is very high. However, bone marrow transplant cost in India is highly-economical along with a high success rate. It is also the most preferred place to get your transplant as some of the most reputed hospitals in India have the best hematologists and oncologists who are specialists in BMT.
For your reference, below we have discussed the cost of bone marrow transplants in India. Here is an estimated bone marrow transplantation cost in India on the basis of its types. (depending on the recommendation of your consulting oncologist):
For your reference, below we have discussed the bone marrow transplantation cost in India.
Here is an estimated bone marrow transplant cost in India by types (depending on the recommendation of your consulting oncologist):
|Types of BMT||BMT Cost In India|
(INR and Dollar)
|Autologous Bone marrow transplant||₹15,00,000 - ₹17,00,000 ($21,013 - $23,652)|
|Allogeneic Bone marrow transplant||₹25,00,000 - ₹30,00,000 ($35,022 - $42,027)|
|Haplo-Allogeneic Bone marrow transplant||₹35,00,000 - ₹40,00,000 ($49,031 - $56,036)|
*To be on the safer side, be prepared for a 5% to 10% variation on the estimated cost depending on your condition. These charges include hospital stay for a specific period, surgeon’s fees, operation theatre charges, anesthesia charges, and meals for the patient and one companion.
You must be wondering why the cost of bone marrow transplants in India differs in different types of transplants? Here are the factors which will tell you the reason why:
- Your condition: Depending on the type of cancer or disorder you have, you’ll be recommended a type of transplant.
- Age: The age of the patients is also a factor that affects the overall bone marrow price. transplantation costs Treatment cost is higher for patients under 20 or pediatric patients. This is because their care and total stay in the hospital are usually higher.
- The type of transplant: As we know there are three types of transplants. Following are the different types of bone marrow transplants:
- Autologous Bone marrow transplant:
- Your own bone marrow is used for this type of transplant.
- Autologous costs are less as compared to allogeneic transplants.
- Allogeneic Bone marrow transplant:
- Bone marrow from a 10/10 HLA matching donor (preferably a sibling) is used for this type of transplant.
- Cost is higher when it comes to allogeneic because here you have to pay not only for yourself but also for your donor when it comes to tests, facilities, lab works, etc.
- Haplo-Allogeneic (Haploidentical) Bone marrow transplant:
- When bone marrow is used from a donor (your children, parents, sibling) that has a partial HLA match to you.
- Cost is even higher in Haplo-Allogeneic transplant as the procedure is a lot more complicated so the cost and number of tests increases.
What could be the additional costs in BMT?
If you’re thinking of bone marrow transplant costs in India or anywhere else in the world, be prepared to shell out money for post and pre-transplant facilities. As you have to additionally pay for the facilities such as tests, chemotherapy, post-transplant monitoring, etc.
And so that it does not come as a shock to you when you’re in India, we have prepared a detailed guide of all the additional facilities you’ll be charged for while you undergo blood cancer treatment in India.
First, we want to discuss all the costs that come under the pre-bone marrow transplant stage:
In a bone marrow transplant, the body's damaged or destroyed blood cells are replaced with new healthy blood cells. This medical process is also known as a stem cell transplant. Bone marrow cancer treatment in India is available for certain types of cancers like leukemia, multiple myeloma and some types of lymphoma. Stem cell transplant cost in India is approximately INR 1,49,000 (USD 2,000) for one cycle.
In the pre-bone marrow transplant stage, you will go through steps that are essential preparations for the bone marrow transplant procedure. This is the most critical stage as it lays down the foundation for the treatment.
Following is a complete guide of not only all the necessary steps you will have to take before the bone marrow transplant but also discusses the costs you will incur during this stage:
For your convenience we have elaborated each and every step for the Pre Bone Marrow Transplant costs below:
Pre Bone Marrow Transplant costs:
|Pre-procedurecheck-up tests and treatments||Cost Estimation|
|Health checkup||Physical examination and health check up with oncologist in India might cost around ₹600 ($8) - ₹5000($70)|
|All investigations||There are a number of investigations which will be required like a blood test, PFTs and RVG for the heart, Electrocardiogram (ECG), Chest and Dental X-ray, etc which will set you back by around ₹55,892 ($800) to ₹69,865 ($1000)|
|HLA typing is only required in case of an allogeneic/haploidentical transplant which costs around ₹80,000 ($1,112.53) additionally.|
|Chemotherapy||Cost of chemotherapy is approximately ₹1,04,797 ($1500) to ₹1,25,077 ($1800) per chemo cycle.|
You may also have to pay for Induction chemotherapy that will cost you approximately ₹1,38,974 ($2000) to ₹2,08,462 ($3000).
|Radiation Therapy/ Radiotherapy||A rough estimate of the cost for Radiation treatment based on the procedure or technique can range between ₹1,66,770 ($2400) to ₹4,86,955 ($7000) depending on the package.|
|In the case of allogeneic transplant, there are a number of tests and expenses related to the extraction of stem cells. This is more expensive in a haploidentical transplant. So we have to consider stem cell transplant costs in India or the country in which the treatment is going on.|
|Medication||Medication prescribed for your recovery.|
|Pre - operations cost||Pre-operations cost, medication costs, documentation costs etc.|
What costs come under the Post-bone marrow Transplant stage?
Once you are done with the transplant, the work is not finished. There are steps taken to monitor the progress of the transplantation in a patient and to ensure recovery and keep infections at bay.
But in case of unforeseen situations, unanticipated monitoring, extended stay, etc, requirements will be charged separately. This is not included in the transplant cost and hence it comes under the post-transplant stage.
For your convenience, we have elaborated each and every step for the Post Bone Marrow Transplant costs below:
Post Bone Marrow Transplant Costs:
|Monitoring and requirements|
|Medications cost||There will be many expensive medicines prescribed to you after the transplant.|
|Any additional service availed||Any extended hospital stay and use of services|
|Other consultation||Any other consultation with your doctor and other consultations.|
|Complications management and unanticipated care||The cost of monitoring and treatment for complications management and unanticipated care is separate from the transplant cost.|
If for any reason you have stay beyond the stipulated period, you will be charged separately.
|Follow - up costs||After the transplant, you will have to follow up with your doctor regularly for your health check up.|
Why has India become the hub for bone marrow transplants?
Bone marrow transplant cost in India with comparison to other countries:
|USA||₹2,47,36,250 - ₹ 5,65,40,000 ($350,000-$800,000)|
|United Kingdom||₹1,64,89,184 - ₹4,12,22,960 ($233,310- $583,275)|
|Germany||₹70,67,500 - ₹1,76,68,750 ($100,000-$250,000)|
|Turkey||₹35,33,679 - ₹70,67,500 ($49,999-$100,000)|
|India||₹15,00,000 – ₹40,00,000 ($21,013-$56,036)|
The reasons for variations in costs between India and other developed countries are:
1. Currency: Basically the Indian currency is lower than the USD, pounds, euro, etc. So obviously everything is cost-effective here. Be it your stay, medical treatment, or consultation, everything will cost you far less when compared to other countries.
2. Standard of living: The standard of living is quite lower in India than the other developed countries such as the USA. So the prices of facilities are in the field of transport, overall stay, food and medical treatment are cost-effective.
3. Competition: There are many Bone marrow transplant centers in India, so you have a wider choice according to your budget of hospitals of your choosing. Bone marrow transplant success rate in India is popular worldwide as all the hospitals are well facilitated with the latest BMT-related technology and specialists with cost-effective treatment.
4. Hospitals: Bone marrow transplantation is available at many Indian hospitals, both public and private. Hence, you have a greater opportunity to select the best blood cancer hospital in India by comparing the expenses of various hospitals, as prices may differ. A few government-run hospitals also offer free bone marrow transplants in India or they offer their services at very nominal costs.
5. Doctor: Basically, here in India the doctors charge less compared to doctors in the other developed countries. This is one of the major reasons for the cost-effective bone marrow transplant price in India. However, the charges of doctors may vary according to their popularity, experience, and the hospitals where they practice.
There are a few other factors regarding why getting bone marrow transplants in India is a good option.
Even though blood cancer treatment cost in India is very affordable compared to other developed nations, this doesn’t mean Indian hospitals compromise on quality and expertise.
Why should you get a bone marrow transplant in India?
- You will find some of the internationally accredited BMT centers in India.
- Here in India, the BMT doctors are extremely well trained, skilled and experienced.
- They are highly experienced and have participated and led various cancer and BMT-centered research in countries like the USA, UK, Canada, etc.
- The technology and infrastructure required for BMT are on par with the developed countries.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What factors should one consider while selecting a cancer doctor for his treatment?
- One should consider the following factors before selecting a cancer doctor:
- Experience in the field: A person should look into the experience of the doctor in the field which he is looking for.
- Specialization: A person should go for a doctor who has specialization in the treatment he needs.
- Successful treatments: A person should see how many treatments a doctor has completed successfully.
- The technology used: A person should know about the types of equipment a doctor uses to treat a person.
We have created a list of the best cancer specialists. Along with these above factors one is also advised to consider one of the best cancer hospitals in India.
2. Is CAR T-cell treatment the same as bone marrow transplantation?
No. Immunotherapy is a form of chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T-cell treatment. It fights cancer by using your immune cells (which have been taken, changed, and reintroduced into your body).CAR T-cell therapy takes its name from the fact that it modifies your body's T cells (part of your immune system) to destroy cancer cells. Adults with some severe lymphomas and children with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (blood cancer) are now treated with CAR T-cell therapy.
Question and Answers (386)
If the cracking of nipple is not responding to ointment what needs to be ruled out is a Paget's disease of the nipple. This requires a clinical examination by a breast surgeon and he or she can guide you further on the same.
The growth rate of sarcomas depends on the grade. A low grade sarcoma is a slow growing Tumor which may take even an year to reach 5cm or less. On the other hand, a high grade sarcoma not only increases rapidly in size, it can also spread to other organs, like lung, very fast
If you have uterine cancer, you may notice:
- Bleeding per vaginum
- and then go ahead with USG abdomen
Recent onset problem may be related to some benign skin disorders like eczema. However it may be the presentation of an 'in situ' type of breast cancer or a breast cancer inside the breast tissue. You must visit a surgical Oncologist and if needed a skin specialist
Difficult to answer this question without examination and history, though broadly speaking sinister cause like cancer is rare in such young age, benign skin problems are more common. However it'll be advisable to visit a surgeon for evaluation.
What is the Chemotherapy Cost in India?The Chemotherapy cost in India is quite affordable compared to other developed countries. However, the price also depends on the type and stage of cancer, the quantity of dosage and the root of chemotherapy administered, On this page, you will get to know cost estimate for types of chemotherapy, added costs, pre-operative and post-operative costs.