Prostate Cancer Treatment in India
I agree that prostate cancer is a very sensitive issue and we would like to get the best possible treatment. Success rate speaks a lot about the quality of the treatment and the success rate of Prostate cancer treatment in India speaks for itself cause it has proven to be at par with the best in the world even though prostate cancer treatment cost in India is comparitively affordable when compared to others.All major cities in India have hospitals which offer robotic arm surgery which is the best. Cancer hospitals in Hyderabad are highly recommended among these since they are considered to be very good.
Other than hyderabad, there are more cities where you can get best quality treatment for prostate cancer and when it comes to the quality of staff cancer hospitals in chennai do not need any introduction.
Here, we will discuss about treatment in some of the best cancer hospital in India and cost of prostate cancer treatment in India. Before discussing that let us try and understand what prostate cancer is and its main causes:
Prostate is a reproductive gland in males which prevents and nurtures the sperms. Prostate cancer is very common among old aged men, but can be easily treated by surgery, radiation therapy and chemotherapy.
Prostate cancer is generally very slow and does not spread rapidly like any other type of cancer, so it requires minimal treatment as compared to the latter. However, it is important to detect prostate cancer at an early stage for complete cure.
Signs and Symptoms
If you are having any of those it is advisable to consult a good doctor for early diagnosis. The treatment depends upon the stage of prostate cancer.
Here are the stages of prostate cancer :
At the early stages of prostate cancer, there are no symptoms observed. Many men, complaint about this, because they come to know about it only during their routine check-up or blood test. Or else even when the symptom exists, they are one of the following:-
Even there are following possibilities, if the prostate cancer is advanced :
Causes of Prostate Cancer
Here are some of the factors which may be responsible for prostate cancer:
- Age Prostate cancer is generally common among old men(above 80)
- Family history It is more likely to have prostate cancer, if any of your family member has had a history of prostate cancer.
- Ethnicity Prostate cancer is more prone to black African men rather than their Asian or American counterparts.
- Height and weight Overweight and tall men are at a higher risk of prostate cancer.
- Environmental factors Cigarette smoking, toxins from industries, other environmental factors can also increase the risk of prostate cancer.
How to diagnose Prostate Cancer in India?
Prostate cancer can be diagnosed at some of the leading cancer hospitals in India through any of the following methods:
- Digital Rectal Exam
- Prostate Specific Antigen(PSA)
What are the various prostate cancer treatment options available in India?
In case you are looking for the treatment options for prostate cancer, you are at the right place. Here we provide you a list of alternatives for treating prostate cancer as per the size, stage and extent of cancer :
- Radiation therapy It is highly effective in treating cancer, there are two types of radiation therapy: external beam radiation therapy and brachy therapy.
- Hormone therapy This therapy includes LH-RH and Anti-androgens to stop testosterone from growing and spreading.
- Chemotherapy Drugs are injected to destroy the cells which are growing rapidly.
- Biological or immunotherapy Some of your immune cells are taken, modified and injected back in the body to fight cancer cells.
Surgery Radical prostatectomy is the surgery for treating prostate cancer in which the entire prostate is removed along with the nearby affected areas.
All the above mentioned treatments are available across India. Among them cancer hospitals in Hyderabad are renowned for providing them at highly affordable costs.
Cost of prostate cancer treatment in India
India provides excellent healthcare to the patients at highly affordable prices. Quality hospitals like HCG cancer hospital in Bangalore and Rajiv Gandhi cancer hospital in Delhi provide world-class infrastructure for cancer treatment.
The cost may differ depending upon the procedure, facility, surgeon, your medical condition, and the city of surgery. The cost of surgery usually starts from $5500 and may go up as well depending on the above listed factors.
It takes around 3-4 days for discharge after radical prostatectomy. The patient can resume routine activities after two weeks or so. A regular follow up is essential to make sure the cancer does not return.