New Insulin Pumps 2022 - FDA Approved Revolutionary Innovation in Diabetic Field
The world is seeing revolutionary innovations in the field of diabetic care in the form of insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitor systems. Omnipod 5 is the latest system to join the bandwagon. It is the world’s first FDA approved tubeless patch protecting against the highs and lows of insulin 24*7.
Table of Contents :
Diabetes is becoming alarmingly common worldwide. Its prevalence is increasing at an unprecedented rate. In 2021, around 537 million adults around the world were living with diabetes. IDF Diabetes Atlas data shows that this number will rise to 643 million by 2030 and 783 million by 2045. In India, 74.2 million people were living with diabetes in 2021. This number is likely to increase to 124.8 million by 2045.
At the same time, the world is witnessing several rapid advances in therapeutics and technology to control and monitor diabetes. 2022 has been a whirlwind for the medical community, with several breakthroughs in diabetes care. We are witnessing the never-ending innovation of insulin pumps in the form of wearable patches and closed-loop delivery systems. Insulin management has never been this easy and handy for people with diabetes.
The latest revolutionary invention approved by the FDA is Insulet's Omnipod 5. It received approval from the FDA on January 28, 2022. This latest insulin pump is the only tubeless patch pump and is a hi-tech system that never sleeps. OmniPod 5 functions day and night and protects against the highs and lows of insulin. It adjusts insulin delivery automatically to manage glucose levels.
Let’s read along to learn more about this new innovation
More about Omnipod 5
Omnipod 5 is the world's first-ever closed-loop system, automating insulin delivery without needing a plastic tube attached to your body. It is also the first FDA-cleared system you can control from your smartphone.
- Like Omnipod DASH, Omnipod 5 will also use Bluetooth enabled pods and a smartphone application. Beyond this, the latest diabetes care system will also use different pods entirely.
- It combines an insulin pump and a continuous glucose monitor (CGM) with a controlling algorithm, so insulin levels adjust automatically in response to predicted glucose levels.
- It combines the patch pump of the Omnipod and Dexcom G6 to automate insulin delivery. Dexcom G6 is the world's most advanced CGM, eliminating the need for finger stick tests. You can directly attach the sensor to your body. Moreover, you don't need to carry a separate receiver, as Dexcom G6 is the first CGM to offer direct-to-smartphone app connectivity.
- Omnipod 5 is also compatible with Dexcom G7, which is currently under review by the FDA.
Omnipod 5 is only the world's fourth automated insulin delivery (AID) system. The first was launched in 2016 under the name Medtronic 670G. The Tandem Control-IQ system was made available to the public in 2020, and the MiniMed 770G in September 2020. Omnipod 5 was officially launched in early August 2022 for diabetic patients two years and older.
What are the characteristics of OmniPod 5?
- The Omnipod 5 pods hold 85-200 units of insulin and can be worn for up to 3 days. They are also waterproof for up to an hour.
- It is safe for kids as young as two years old and suffering from type 1 diabetes (T1D).
- It offers 100% control through a smartphone application. For those without a compatible smartphone, Insulet gives a handheld controller to use exclusively with the Omnipod 5 app.
- Omnipod 5's SmartAdjust technology enables the device to adjust automatically to insulin rates every 5 minutes.
- It enables customizable glucose targets and has as many as eight different programs.
- Bluetooth-enabled Pods need clear communication with Bluetooth G6 sensors. Hence, the pod and the G6 CGM should be worn on the same side of your body.
- The system takes 2-3 pods to learn the needs of an individual. The smart adaptive learning algorithm delivers judgments based on the results of the past several days. The foundational basal program is set in around nine days.
Though it has been tremendously helpful for people using it, switching to OmniPod 5 is your personal choice or your doctor's recommendation. This system is a blessing in disguise for those who spend long hours in the water. Omnipod 5 is also a ray of hope for all parents with children diagnosed with T1D. It is indeed a technological marvel in the realm of diabetes care.
Question and Answers (43)
I am having neck pain for 1 year 6 months now...i did every scans i did MRI , CT and even XRay found nothing....I did physiotherapy and even excercise for 3 months .... But still there is pain
I have some symptoms related to acid reflux like stomach burning, vomiting sensation, throat pain..what can I do to cure this??
Hi, I am 30 years old my head and face gets complete numb and heavy, also ears go numb and there will be no sense of touch sometimes what could be the reason... can you suggest a proper treatment thanks
Hello sir, My mother is suffering from numbness in hands and back of the neck and head sometimes.when we consulted hospitals they did many mri and concluded they can see small ovoid lession. But when they tested for CSF ocb test...all were negative. They had given predisilone 60 mg for 14days and they had given vitamin D , vitamin b12 tablets and some muscle relaxants tablets...numbness and pain get started when she get angry or start to think about anything.so please help me sir
What to expect after abscess drainage?
Best Diabetes Treatment in India 2022( Find Top Hospitals, Doctors And Treatments)Over 77 million people suffer from Diabetes Mellitus in India. Diabetes is caused by a mixture of genetics and lifestyle choices. In today’s world, most people have a sedentary lifestyle. This has led to an alarming increase in the number of cases every year. But there is no need to be depressed. With the right treatment and lifestyle changes, you can treat diabetes and live a long, productive life. India offers a variety of affordable treatment options which can send your diabetes into remission. So, read on to decide which treatment is best for you.
Monkeypox - A public health emergencyAn ongoing outbreak of monkeypox, a viral disease, was confirmed in May 2022. The outbreak marked the first time monkeypox has spread widely outside Central and West Africa. From 18 May onwards, cases were reported from an increasing number of countries and regions.