We know that knee pain can be unbearable. The pain just drains out the energy to do anything from your body. Thus a permanent solution is needed. Get treatment from the best knee replacement surgeon in Ahmedabad. Following is the list of 10 Best Knee Replacement Surgeon In Ahmedabad:
10 Best Knee Replacement Surgeon In Ahmedabad
Dr. Hemang Ambani
26 years of experience
- Special panel orthopedic surgeon at Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Ltd. (ONGC)
- Successfully performed 10,000 surgeries.
Dr. Swetal Bhavsar
17 years of experience
MBBS, MS - Orthopaedics, International Clinical Postdoctoral Fellowship
- In the University Of Toronto, he completed the International Clinical Postdoctoral Fellowship in 2005
Dr. Chirag Chudasama
13 years of experience
MS - Orthopaedics, Fellowship in Arthroscopy & Sports Injury
- Awarded the ‘Best Paper Presentation’ award by Indian Arthroscopy Society, Hyderabad in 2013
- Awarded the ‘Best Paper Presentation’ Gujarat Orthopedic Society in 2014
Dr. Jaymin Shah
10 years of experience
MBBS, MS - Orthopaedics, Fellowship Programme in Orthopedic Oncology
- In 34th GOACON awarded the Best paper award in 2016
Frequently Asked Questions
Knee replacement in Ahmedabad:
Knee carries the entire weight of the body and it is an important part of it. The joint in the knee is a hinge between the femur (thigh bone) and the tibia (shin bone) whose ends are covered with cartilage which enables the bones to move easily against each other. The cartilage begins to wear off due to age, wear and tear and other factors causing the bones to rub against each other and causing inflammation and extreme pain. People suffering from arthritis start feeling stiffness, pain, instability and loss of function which affects the daily activities and life in general. During knee replacement surgery the damaged bones and the cartilage are replaced with plastic and metal parts. The function of the cartilage is done by the plastic material and helps the joint to move freely.
Why do people opt for Knee replacement in Ahmedabad?
According to World Health Organization one in six people in India suffer from arthritis and there is a requirement of Knee-replacement in India , this makes it about 15% to 17% of the population. India ranks second for having the most knee osteoarthritis sufferers in the world. Several people are getting knee replacement in Ahmedabad done as they suffer from arthritis because of changing lifestyle, hectic working pattern and lack of proper diet and exercise. There are other factors that can trigger off arthritis are genetics, sedentary lifestyle, diabetes, obesity, thyroid malfunction, infection and injury. Due to these reasons they suffer from acute pain in the joints especially the knees and have to consult orthopedic surgeons in Ahmedabad.
Cost of Knee replacement in Ahmedabad:
The average cost of knee replacement in Ahmedabad is affordable as compared to other cities in India and the patients get the best value in terms of comfort and implant. Orthopedic surgeons in Ahmedabad provide quality treatment to the patients using advanced technology.
When should you get a Knee replacement surgery done?
There are many people who complain of prolonged pain and have difficulty in the movement of the knees. They live with pain which restricts them from participating in daily activities. Knee replacement offers solution to these people as it alleviates their pain so that they can carry on their normal activities. Osteoarthritis or degenerative arthritis is the major cause of chronic pain in the knee. There are other types of conditions which cause pain such as rheumatoid arthritis, tumors, trauma and prior surgeries and complications. As the pain progresses it causes unstable stride, swelling and deformity.
Who is recommended Knee replacement surgery?
People with the following complaints are mostly recommended knee replacement surgeries
- Persistent and arthritic pain -People suffering from arthritis and stiff and painful knee have difficulty in walking and climbing stairs. The pain persists even while sleeping and resting also.
- Degenerative problems -It is recommended to people who are at risk of degenerative problem.
- Accident trauma -If the knee is damaged due to a fracture or mutilation and is beyond repair then knee replacement is an ideal option.
- Medicine has failed -Patients who fail to respond to oral, external or intravenous medicines for relief from pain.
- Alternative therapies are not effective -When non-surgical treatments like physiotherapy, medications and even using walking aid are no longer useful.
Risks and complications related to Knee replacement surgery:
During surgery the orthopedic surgeon may use regional or general anesthesia so that you do not feel the pain.
Side effects of anesthesia are:
- Pain and aches
Knee replacement in Ahmedabad is basically safe and in less than 2% cases serious complications occur.
Risks about Knee replacement surgery that a patient should be aware of:
- Blood clots -Surgery increases the risk of blood clot and they may block the flow of blood. Sometimes the clot breaks free and travels to the lungs or heart causing serious health issues.To prevent the risk of blood clot the doctor may recommend blood thinning medications after surgery. He may also recommend lower leg exercises, support stocking or elevate your legs to increase blood circulation.
- Infection -People suffering from diabetes or rheumatoid arthritis have a greater risk of infection. Even if there is an infection in another part of the body it may lead to infection in the knee.Orthopedic surgeon prescribes antibiotics to prevent infections.
- Complications in the wound and bleeding -Usually the staples and sutures are removed after two weeks but sometimes complications occur and it takes a long time for the wound to heal. The surgeon may have to drain the fluid by reopening the wound or by a needle. Skin graft may be needed if the skin is not healed properly.
- Nerve damage -During surgery the blood vessels may get damaged and there is feeling of numbness which mostly disappear after some months as the nerve heels.
- Implant failure and prosthesis problems -There is a risk of malfunction or improper placement of the implant due to which the knee may not bend properly. In the long term there is a possibility of the prosthesis becoming loose and it might need adjustments. There may also be breakage or wear in other parts of the artificial knee and a revision surgery may be needed.
Before the surgery, you will have to undergo tests to determine if you are a suitable candidate. The list of tests which you will need to undertake includes:
- Complete blood count
- Physical exam
- Urinalysis testing
- Baseline metabolic analysis of liver and kidney
- Coagulation testing
After the general anesthesia the orthopedic surgeon makes a cut in the front of the knee. He then removes the damaged part of the joint from the surface of the bone and then the surface is shaped so that it can hold the plastic or metal artificial joint. The artificial joint is attached to the bones with special material or cement. The artificial joint relies on the surrounding ligaments and muscles for function and support.
The day after the surgery the patients are made to stand and move their joints. They begin to walk with the help of parallel bars and then progress to walker or crutches until they can support their body weight. Physical therapist will help them with their exercises.
Do's and don'ts of Knee replacement surgery:
- It is important to take medications properly and perform the exercise prescribed by the therapist.
- To improve flexions keep on bending and straightening your legs.
- Do not lift heavy objects as it can put stress on the artificial knee and damage it.
- Avoid smoking and drinking as smoking shrinks the blood vessels and slows down the healing process.
- Extra kilos put pressure on the knee so watch your weight and try and keep it down.
- Exercise and walking helps to strengthen your leg muscles. Even low impact activities such as golf and swimming helps.
- High impact activities such as running and jumping can cause pain and damage the artificial knee so it should be avoided.
Success of Knee replacement surgery:
90% of people who have undergone knee replacement surgery have minimum pain and are able to stay active and perform daily activities. The artificial knee usually last over a decade and in 85% it still lasts for 20 years. Knee replacement surgery helps people to lead a higher quality of life.