As per the WHO, 1 in every 8 people has a mental illness, which makes the number of people with mental illness around a billion! It is also stated that people suffering from anxiety and depressive disorders have increased by 26% and 28% in the past year.
Reports also show that more than 40 million people have bipolar disorder. 24 million people had schizophrenia last year. People suffering from eating disorders crossed 14 million last year, and over 40 million live with the conduct-dissocial disorder.
The figures mentioned above show how grave of a situation mental illness is in today's time. Seeking professional help for mental health may have been neglected in the past, but not today.
Regardless of how to fit an individual physically, he cannot do everyday tasks or enjoy his life to the fullest if he copes with mental issues. Suppose one is seeking professional help to overcome mental problems. He needs to ensure that he gets help from the best psychiatrist. Below is a list of the best mental hospitals in the world you can trust:
Best Mental Hospitals in the US
The US is the leader in healthcare in the world. They have developed hospitals with ultra-modern facilities. They have assembled some of the best minds for providing mental healthcare. Despite of high cost of treatment, patients seek treatment in the US due to their high standards. Given below are the best mental health hospitals in the US.
1. McLean Hospital
|115 Mill St, Belmont, MA 02478, United States
- McLean was founded in 1811, making it one of the oldest mental hospitals in the world. On several occasions, McLean has been named the best mental hospital in the world by US News and World Report.
- McLean has dedicated research and a teaching facility at Harvard Medical School.
- McLean is accredited by JCI, which showcases its reliability.
- McLean is an honorary member of the Mass General Brigham.
- McLean specializes in Trauma and Dissociative Disorders, OCD, Depression, Personality, and Bipolar Disorders.
2. John Hopkins Medicine
|1800 Orleans Street, Baltimore, Maryland, United States
- John Hopkins is among the top psychiatric hospitals in the world. They have been providing excellent healthcare facilities for more than 130 years.
- John Hopkins was ranked the second-best mental hospital in the US.
- They specialize in mood disorders, anorexia nervosa, and Huntington's disease.
- They are among the selected few hospitals to receive an A grade for hospital safety by the Leapfrog Group.
- They have received the ANCC Magnet Recognition of Nursing Excellence.
3. Massachusetts General Hospital
|55 Fruit St, Boston, MA 02114, United States
- Massachusetts General is among the best mental health facilities in the world. They are the leading this field for over 85 years.
- They are the founding members of the Mass General Brigham, a leading research facility for mental disorders.
- They provide over 60 specialty psychiatric programs, making them one of the largest mental healthcare providers in the world.
- JCI, ANCC, and STS acknowledge Massachusetts General Hospital.
Did you know?
Mental health problems account for several of the top causes of disability in established market economies, such as the U.S., worldwide, and include: major depression (also called clinical depression), manic depression (also called bipolar disorder), schizophrenia, and obsessive-compulsive disorder. And thus, it is essential to receive appropriate treatment from the right place!
So, now let's move on and look at the right places for receiving mental health assistance in the UK!
Best Mental Hospital in the UK
The UK is one of the most popular medical tourism spots, especially for medical health. Patients from different countries seek treatment for mental health in the UK. This is because of their outstanding facilities and the latest medical advancements. You can find some of the best mental hospitals in the world in UK below:
4. Cygnet Health Care
|Millbank, London SW1P 3JA, United Kingdom
- Cygnet has been providing top-tier mental health services for over 30 years.
- Cygnet has numerous individual facilities across England and Scotland.
- They specialize in treating mental among older adults.
- Their areas of expertise include personality disorders, neuropsychiatric disorders, eating disorders, PICU, and CAMHS.
- They are the winner of the Koestler Art Award.
5. Southern Hill Hospital
|Mundesley Rd, Norwich NR11 8ET, United Kingdom
- Southern Hill is among the best mental health hospitals in the world.
- The top mental health specialists across the UK practice here.
- Their dedicated Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) is regarded as world-class.
- Southern Hill has specialized teams providing critical mental health services 24/7.
6. Priory Hospital, Bristol
|Heath House Lane Stapleton, Bristol BS16 1EQ, United Kingdom
- Priory Hospital is recognized as among the best mental health facilities in the world.
- They are the early adopters of the latest advancements in Mental Health.
- They are the experts in treating PTSD, OCD, Addictions, Depression, and Anxiety.
- They provide customized treatment plans regulated within the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) guidelines.
- The Care Quality Commission (CQC) acknowledges the hospital as top-tier.
Best Mental Hospitals in India
India has consciously developed their medical infrastructure to provide first-class medical facilities. They are renowned for their best doctors and affordable costs. Thus, you can expect Indian hospitals to give the best mental health treatment globally.
7. VIMHANS- Vidyasagar Institute of Mental Health, Neuro & Allied Sciences
|Institutional Area Rd, Nehru Nagar, Lajpat Nagar, New Delhi, Delhi 110065
- Vimhans has been providing world-class mental healthcare for over 30 years.
- It is one of the largest multi-specialty hospitals in India, focusing on mental health and neurology.
- They specialize in psychiatry, psychology, and mental health rehab.
- Vimhans is recognized for providing treatment for learning disabilities to children. People from various countries seek their treatment.
- They are associated with the Indian Council of Medical Research, ISKCON, BOSCO, and many more.
8. NIMHANS- National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences
|No.29, Hosur Rd, Lakkasandra, Ayappa Garden, Adugodi, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560030
- Nimhans was established in 1925, making it one of the oldest mental health hospitals in the world.
- Nimhans is continuously working to provide the latest advancements in mental health and neurology.
- Nimhans is home to the best psychiatrists and neurologists in India.
- They are among the few facilities worldwide to provide Ayurvedic mental health treatment.
Best Mental Hospitals in Other Countries
There are world-class mental hospitals in countries other than those we discussed! These hospitals have been providing excellent services for decades. They are home to the best psychiatrists in the world. You can find them below:
9. Institute Of Mental Health, Singapore
|10 Buangkok View, Buangkok Green, Medical Park, Singapore 539747
- Institute of Mental Health has been providing excellent mental health services consistently since 1928, making them one of the best mental hospitals in the world.
- The Institute Of Mental Health is one of the largest hospitals dedicated to mental health, with 2000 beds.
- They have a dedicated facility for child mental health, serving its purpose successfully for over 50 years,
- They are the winners of the National Clinical Excellence Team Award 2022.
10. Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Canada
|1000 Queen St W, Toronto, ON M6J 1H4, Canada
- CAMH was ranked the best hospital for mental health by Research Infosource.
- CAMH was also named the best medical research facility in Canada.
- They specialize in brain stimulation, personalized medicines, and geriatric mental health.
- They have developed the world's best brain imaging center enabling them to assess brain chemistry, functions, and behavior in patients with mental illness.
- They are also global leaders in treating depression using the brain stimulation method.
However, it is not easy to identify one among many. If you are in a similar situation, we are here to help you! Below we have mentioned some of the points you should keep in mind when choosing a mental hospital:
Criteria for Choosing the Best Mental Hospital in the World
- A mental hospital is considered trustworthy if it receives licenses and certifications from the governing authorities.
- Track Record
- The best hospitals have provided services for many years with excellent success rates.
- Experienced Doctors
- Doctors with needed skills and experience are a must for any hospital, as they are the ones treating the patients.
- Referrals from friends and family are the best way to know about a reliable mental hospital.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can generalized anxiety disorder with panic attacks be hereditary?
Can generalized anxiety disorder with panic attacks be triggered by a traumatic event?
Can meditation help manage generalized anxiety disorder and panic attacks?
Can medication for generalized anxiety disorder with panic attacks cause addiction?
Can generalized anxiety disorder with panic attacks affect my physical health?
Can generalized anxiety disorder with panic attacks affect my work performance?
How long does depression after IVF failure typically last?
What are the treatment options for depression after IVF failure?