Need to know the methods for weight loss either surgical or through medicines. Secondly what will it cost.
Answered on 24th February 2023
Member of team ClinicSpots.
Answered on 4th August 2021
- Your weight loss journey will start with dieting, exercise and lifestyle changes, and in the event that they don't yield desired results, only then will you be considered for some medication or surgical treatment, but that would be side-by-side your dieting, exercising, and lifestyle fixes.
- To move on to medication, you would have to meet one of the following criteria:
- Your body mass index (BMI) is equal to or greater than 30
- Your BMI is greater than 27, and additionally you have medical complications related to obesity as well, such as diabetes, high blood pressure or sleep apnea
- Before prescribing any medication, your doctor will consider your health background, as well as possible side effects. Weight loss medicine approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), include the following, but you would need to be monitored:
- Orlistat (Alli, Xenical)
- Phentermine and topiramate (Qsymia)
- Bupropion and naltrexone (Contrave)
- Liraglutide (Saxenda, Victoza)
When you stop taking a weight-loss medication, you may regain more or all of the weight that you had lost. There could be side effects & risks too, so keep your doctor updated on regular basis.
- Endoscopic surgeries: they are less invasive and are concerned with surgical procedures which limit your capacity to consume food, such as the methods mentioned below:
- Placing stitches in your stomach to reduce its size and the amount of food you can consume.
- Or inserting a small balloon into your stomach, which is then filled with water to reduce the amount of space available. This helps you feel fuller faster.
- Bariatric surgeries: These are surgical procedures which can have the same function as endoscopic surgeries, but with more invasive methodologies.
- You will qualify for them if earlier methods failed, but either if you are extremely obese (BMI of 40 or greater), or if your BMI is between 35 to 39.9 and same is coupled with a serious weight-related problem, such as diabetes or high blood pressure.
- Following are the procedures you can be considered for: gastric by-pass, adjustable gastric banding, biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch, and gastric sleeve.
- Vagal nerve blockade:
- It involves implantation of device under the skin of the abdomen which sends intermittent electrical pulses to the abdominal vagus nerve, same signals the brain when the stomach feels empty or full.
- Can be used for adults who have not been able to lose weight and who have a BMI of 35 to 45 with at least one obesity-related condition.
- Coming to weight loss treatment cost, the surgical procedures will cost anywhere between Rs. 2,25,000 to Rs. 7,00,000. Whereas for dieting related consultation it can vary from rs. 1,200 to rs. 20,000.
For more information regarding obesity treatment, you can visit experts - Obesity Specialists in Mumbai, let us know if your city is different!
Cost of Obesity Or Bariatric Surgery Treatment in India
Gastric sleeve turkey (know cost and clinics)
This article will take you through cost and other formalities related to gastric sleeve turkey
Dr. Harsh Sheth- A Bariatric Surgeon
Dr. Harsh Sheth is a well trained surgical gastro-enterologist with vast experience in upper GI (including bariatric), hernia & HPB surgery, and a keen interest in medical innovations.
Tummy Tuck for Obese Patients- Facts You Should Know About Tummy Tuck
Being overweight or obese has never been healthy, but getting a safe tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) to reduce the unwanted fat skin is all you need. Tummy tuck can be a good option for individuals who are overweight or plus-sized and want to improve the appearance of their abdominal area. However, it is crucial to remember that tummy tuck surgery is not a weight loss solution and is not appropriate for everyone. It is generally recommended that individuals considering tummy tuck surgery should be at or near their ideal body weight and have good overall health. Let’s read ahead to learn more in detail.
Bariatric Surgery in India: All about hospitals surgeons, and cost comparison 2023
If you are one of those who have tried everything to lose weight. But keep on failing each time. After trying exercises and diets there seems to be no impact. Then Bariatric surgery can be a solution for you. Then this article is the right place to know everything about Bariatric surgery , what is the cost of Bariatric Surgery in India?, Who are the Best surgeons with excellent experience and the top hospitals which specialize in Bariatric Surgery.
Bariatric Surgery In Dubai 2023(Know The Best Weight Loss Surgeons,Clinics & Prices)
Are you struggling to lose weight and improve your health? Bariatric surgery in Dubai could be the solution you've been searching for! Dubai is becoming the center of all types of plastic surgery including Bariatric surgery. It is a weight loss surgery that is performed for reducing the size of the stomach or rerouting the small intestine. You will get to know all about Doctors, costs, and hospitals for Bariatric surgery in Dubai.