You can touch your transplanted hair at all times post hair transplant surgery, but the intensity with which you are supposed to will vary depending on the extent to which your scalp has healed.
Usually, it takes approximately 8-14 days for the grafts to settle, but your hair will still be weak. Following the steps below will protect your grafts:
- You can touch your scalp once your bandages are removed, that is 2 to 5 days after the surgery.
- After removing bandages, you can give a gentle wash to your hair daily, without applying too much pressure with your hands. Just rinse using clean water.
- Before washing your hair, you need to moisturize the transplanted area and rinse gently with warm water.
- After washing your hair, PAT your hair gently with a towel and do not use rubbing motions. Also, avoid hair dryers for 1-2 weeks.
- Brushing or combing your new grafts will be strictly prohibited for around 3 weeks.
- To reduce contact between your pillow and transplanted hair, you will have to sleep with your head in an elevated position.
- Avoid wearing any headgear for the first 10 days ((but once the roots are settled in, it will be beneficial to cover your hair especially when outside, to protect your hair from the sun)).
Please avoid any of the activities mentioned below:
- Don’t touch your grafts heavily while showering or grooming.
- Don’t indulge in strenuous activities for the first 14 days post hair transplant surgery.
- Don’t undergo any surgery or treatment which can disturb your scalp for at least three months post hair transplant surgery.