- Experience: 22 years
- Specialist in: Laparoscopic and Robotic cancer surgery (Surgical Oncology)
- Areas of expertise: Thoracic cancer, gastrointestinal cancer, gynecological cancer, urinary tract cancer, head and neck cancer, breast cancer, etc.
- Current location where he consults: Bangalore, Karnataka, India
- Current places where he consults and operates: Fortis Hospital, MACS clinic, Ramakrishna Hospital, Bangalore Hospital
Which are the places where Dr. Sandeep Nayak consult?
1. MACS Clinic
One of the best clinics in Bangalore, where Dr. Sandeep Nayak, along with his highly skilled and experienced team, practice Laparoscopic and Robotic surgeries. MACS clinic offers its patients the most advanced cancer surgical treatment at affordable cost available today, i.e., laparoscopic and robotic surgery, which has abundant advantages.
The team of MACS clinic headed by Dr. Sandeep Nayak ensures comprehensive and dedicated care for their patients. The entire team at MACS is dedicated to ethical practices. Dr. Sandeep Nayak at MACS is one of the best oncologists in Bangalore, who is known for his significant contribution to surgical oncology.
- Consultation Fee: INR 500 (at clinic) & INR 700 (Online)
- Timings: 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM (Monday - Wednesday & Friday) | 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM (Thursday) | 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM (Saturday)
- Address: Jayanagar, Bangalore, Karnataka 560011
This is one of the famous chains of hospitals in India and abroad for its world-class services and best team of doctors on board, of which Dr. Sandeep Nayak is one such well-established and highly experienced doctor. Dr. Nayak is an additional director at this Fortis hospital situated at Bannerghatta Road.
One of the best hospitals in Bangalore with the Department of Surgical Oncology comprises a team of oncologists extensively experienced in this field and believes in delivering excellent care to their patients. These surgeons, including Dr. Sandeep Nayak, perform all cancer surgeries and reconstructive procedures at Fortis.
- Consultation Fee: INR 750
- Timings: 8:30 am - 9:15 am (Monday to Friday), and 10:00 am - 12:00 pm (Saturday)
- Address: Bannerghatta Road, Bangalore, Karnataka 560076
Why does Dr. Sandeep Nayak recommend Laparoscopic or Robotic cancer surgery over open surgery?
For many ages, people who have cancer are opting for open surgeries as a mode of cancer treatment. Back then, patients suffered much pain and discomfort due to open cancer surgery, as the technology was not advanced. However, thanks to technological breakthroughs at cancers hospitals in India, patients today suffer less discomfort and suffering due to the gift known as "Laparoscopic and Robotic surgery."
Dr. Sandeep Nayak mended ways to implement this treatment form in the field of oncology. Needless to say, that he is one of the pioneers of Laparoscopic and Robotic surgery for cancer treatment in India. He has truly explained the significance of Laparoscopic and Robotic surgery to cancer patients and how it is the only way out of cancer! He further adds, laparoscopy and robotic surgery are the most effective forms of treatment for cancer and have several advantages over the traditional open cancer surgery.
Given below is the comparison of open surgery vs. laparoscopic and robotic surgery :
|Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgery
|Requires cut opening the body part, where the surgery must be performed.
|Only minor cuts are given on the body part, where the surgery must be performed.
|Much blood loss due to open surgery.
|Very less blood loss as compared to open surgery.
|Cut opening causes wounds and as a result, the appearance of big surgery scars.
|Cosmetically better surgery due to minor cuts, as a result, scars are reduced making the surgery almost scar-free.
|Patients are at risk of contracting wound-related infections.
|Lessened or no wound-related complications in this case.
|Patients suffer much pain and discomfort.
|Pain and discomfort are reduced greatly in this case.
|Longer hospital stays as patients take longer to recover.
|Hospital stays are reduced in this case.
|Open surgery is done manually and is not that precise and accurate.
|Laparoscopy and robotic surgeries are done with the help of advanced equipment and quite precise and accurate.
|The surgeons cannot reach places that are difficult to operate, as the operation is performed manually.
|In this case, the surgeon can reach even the complex areas of the human body, where operation is to be carried.
Clearly, laparoscopic and robotic surgery have more advantages over conventional open surgery. This will undoubtedly assist you in making an informed selection regarding the cost of cancer treatment in India.
About Dr. Sandeep Nayak
Dr. Sandeep Nayak is a Bangalore-based senior surgical oncologist (cancer surgeon) who has an overall experience of 19 years. He holds many degrees, viz. MBBS, DNB (General Surgery), MNAMS (General Surgery), and DNB (Surgical Oncology) from some of the best medical colleges in India. He is a robotic and laparoscopic surgical oncologist specializing in thoracic oncology, gastrointestinal oncology, gynecological oncology, neurooncology, and head and neck oncology.
Besides, Dr. Nayak is a highly skilled and best oncologist in India when performing open and minimal access cancer surgeries. Now, what do you understand by the term ‘Minimal Access Cancer Surgery’? Let us brief you. It is a surgery wherein small cuts are made on the concerned part of the body to perform major surgeries using advanced technology like automated systems or laparoscopic equipment.
Furthermore, minimal access to cancer surgery is the umbrella term used for laparoscopic and robotic surgery, and Dr. Sandeep Nayak is one of the pioneers of this field. No wonder he is regarded as the best oncologist in Bangalore, who treats patients with both cancerous or pre-cancerous conditions.
Now, you must be wondering what laparoscopic and robotic surgery is? Let us throw some light on these terms.
Basically, laparoscopic surgery in cancer hospitals in Bangalore is performed by a minimal invasion technique. In other words, by making small cuts manually and using a laparoscope for effective cancer healing and much-reduced blood loss. The same is the case with robotic surgery, except that it involves an automated robotic system in the surgery.
Dr. Nayak has performed several laparoscopic and robotic surgeries for the treatment of pancreatic cancer, oesophageal, stomach, and liver, while colorectal cancer remains his special area of interest. In addition, he has expertise in scarless thyroid surgery and scarless neck dissection. As if that’s not enough! He also has traveled and worked for many reputed centers in India as well as abroad.
Dr. Sandeep Nayak believes that early detection of cancer has a higher chance of cure. He is keen on helping the patients who have lost hope and likes to see his patients smiling as they walk out. Dr. Nayak says happy patients give him great satisfaction. Well, these things surely make him the best oncologist in Bangalore! Dr. Nayak says happy patients give him great satisfaction.
Doctor’s word: “Laparoscopy extends to treat all cancers with fewer complications. It is effective and safe too.” To deal with most cancers, Dr. Nayak recommended that the patients undergo laparoscopic surgery, as it eases the pain and suffering and even reduces the recovery time for them.
What makes Dr. Sandeep Nayak the best oncologist in Bangalore?
His concern about cancer prevention
Dr. Sandeep Nayak truly believes in the saying, “Prevention is better than cure,” because he goes out of his way to spread cancer awareness on different forums. He does so to educate the people about decreasing cancer risk and detecting it at an early stage. Further, Dr. Nayak adds, ‘taking following points in consideration will surely help in reducing your risk of contracting cancer’ :
- Avoiding tobacco and alcohol consumption
- Viral infections like hepatitis (B & C), cervical infections, etc.
- Controlling environmental pollution
- Increasing the level of physical activity
- Practicing good diet habits
He says the most horrifying thing about cancer is, when it starts, it's painless. However, it can be treated at the earliest by ‘screening.’ Nowadays, the chances of cancer occurrences have deliberately increased, so he suggests that people should go for screening after 45 to 50 years of age. His overall view and concern about his patients regarding cancer and its prevention truly make him the best oncologist in Bangalore.
His views on cancer treatment
According to Dr. Sandeep, some types of cancer Accordingcan be treated without surgery, and the treatment options include chemotherapy and radiation therapy. However, chemotherapy and radiation therapy kill normal, healthy cells and cancerous cells and can have long-term side effects chemotherapy. Sometimes, these effects can last for a lifetime and become troublesome.
On the other hand, surgery is a one-time procedure that removes cancer, and the patient can survive without chemotherapy or radiation treatment in India. At times, these treatments can be used as supplementary to cancer surgery. Some cancers need to be treated by chemotherapy alone. Still, for others, he advises his patients to undergo surgery, which is the only curative and main available treatment. Dr. Nayak has genuine views on how cancer should be treated, which ranks him as the best oncologist in India.
His advice on laparoscopy to his patients
Dr. Nayak says, ‘Cancer itself is a painful disease. Then why worsen the pain by opting for open surgery?’. He believes patients should go for laparoscopic surgery as it is less painful, involves less blood loss, faster recovery, reduced hospital stays, and that they can return to their normal lives quicker as compared to open surgery.
According to him, laparoscopy is a safer option than open surgery. And many hospitals nowadays have advanced equipment for performing laparoscopy. No doubt laparoscopic surgery cost is a bit higher than open surgery, but the benefits are definitely a better choice for the benefits. At this point, let us also mention that robotic surgery cost is higher than laparoscopic surgery.
Dr. Sandeep Nayak, who ranks among the top 10 oncologists in Bangalore, says that India's number of trained cancer surgeons is much less than its population. Out of concern, he is training many cancer surgeons to perform laparoscopic surgery to go back and practice this surgery at their clinics. Dr. Nayak does all that it takes for his patients and heals their cancer in the best possible ways, making him the best oncologist in Bangalore.
Know about Dr. Sandeep Nayak’s work as a surgical oncologist
Dr. Nayak’s expertise and understanding in oncology that his article on Laparoscopic and robotic surgery is published in the Economic Times. He has many such articles and scientific publications to his credit.
He also has conducted and assisted in the following conferences and workshops:
- Dr. Sandeep Nayak attended the ‘Golden Jubilee CME of Chittaranjan National Cancer Institute,’ held at Kolkata for oncologists across India in 2007.
- Dr. Nayak conducted a ‘Regional Advocacy Workshop on Tobacco Control Laws and Related Issues in India’ for government medical officials by Chittaranjan National Cancer Institute, Kolkata, India, in 2008.
- He also conducted ‘CME and Workshop on Management of Terminal Illness’ at Chittaranjan National Cancer Institute in Kolkata, India, in 2009.
- Dr. Nayak has attended the NATCON conference of September 2009 at Kolkata, India, where he explained the role of thyroidectomy in larynx cancer.
- He attended the ‘GROS- 1st international workshop on Laparoscopic and Robotic surgery’ conducted at Galaxy Care Hospital in Pune, India, in 2011.
- Dr. Sandeep Nayak attended the NATCON conference of October 2012, held in Goa, India, on ‘EGFR and endophilin expression in prognostication of oral cancer.’
- Also, he has attended the Muller Laparosurgery conference of March 2014 as a faculty, which was held in Mangalore, India.
- ‘National Live Surgical Workshop and CME on Cancer Esophagus’ conducted by Dr. Nayak as a faculty of Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology in Bangalore, India, in 2014.
- Dr. Sandeep Nayak has demonstrated skin-sparing mastectomy & reconstruction as a faculty in the National Breast Cancer workshop of October 2014, conducted at Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology in Bangalore, India.
- He has demonstrated laparoscopic APR and radical hysterectomy as a faculty at the ASICON pre-conference workshop in December 2014, held in Hyderabad, India.
- Dr. Sandeep has attended an ASI South Canara Branch conference on minimal access to cancer surgery at Mangalore, India, in January 2015.
- In September 2015, he demonstrated endoscopic thyroidectomy and radical hysterectomy as a faculty at KIMS Cancer Summit in Hyderabad, India.
- Dr. Nayak had also demonstrated Laparoscopic D2 Gastrectomy as a faculty member t the minimally invasive onco-surgery workshop in November 2016.
- He has presented a master video on MIND at the Indian Cancer Congress conference as a faculty in Bangalore, India, in November 2017.
Let’s have a look at Dr. Sandeep Nayak’s professional affiliations
- Dr. Nayak is trained in basic and advanced laparoscopy from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS).
- He is a member of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (MRCSEd), U.K.
- Dr. Sandeep is a life member of the Association of Surgeons of India (ASI), the Indian Association of Surgical Oncology (IASO), and the Association of Minimal Access Surgeons of India.
- Moreover, he is also a candidate member of the American Association of Clinical Oncology (AACO) and the Society of Surgical Oncology.
- His other memberships include Bangalore Oncology Group, Association of Medical Consultants, Association of Gynecologic oncologists of India (AGOI).
- Dr. Nayak has registered with the Botswana Health Professionals Council under the Gyne-Cancer Project with the Medical Council of India (Karnataka).
- He has a fellowship in Laparoscopic and Robotic Onco-surgery.
- Furthermore, he is also an International Visiting Fellow, Detroit (USA) for surgical oncology.
Hardly any doctor is affiliated with so many associations and delivering excellent work in the medical field at the same time. Certainly, Dr. Nayak is the best oncologist in Bangalore!
Have a glance at Dr. Nayak’s awards and achievements
- ‘Best Video Award’ for a laparoscopic surgery video at the Asian Clinical Oncology Society (ACOS) in New Delhi in 2016.
- ‘Global excellence award’ at International conference on Innovations in Biotech and Medicine, held at Bangalore 2013.
- Dr. Nayak won second prize in the ‘Competitive video award for youngsters’ at NATCON-IASO held at Bhubaneshwar in 2015.
- ‘Pampanagowda video award’ for Minimal Invasive Neck Dissection (MIND) video held at Shivamogga, Karnataka in 2016.
- He was also awarded Indian Council for Medical Research grant from 2007 to 2010 for his potentially significant scientific work.
- Dr. Sandeep was an editor for the periodic journal ‘AFP news’ for 2001-02, published by WHO for National Polio Surveillance Project (NPSP), India.
Patient's reviews on Dr. Sandeep Nayak
Dr. Sandeep Nayak has a dynamic and very heart-warming personality and earned a reputation in surgical oncology. His work is appreciated everywhere, whether he consults as a doctor or teaches as a faculty. Moreover, his compassionate and dedicated nature towards his patients is appreciated and one of the major reasons he is the best oncologist in Bangalore. Don’t believe us? Hear from the horse’s mouth.
Please have a look at what his patients have to say about him…
- Mr. Ashok Kumar says: “Dr. Sandeep Nayak listens to your problems well and then suggests the treatment accordingly. I am delighted with the doctor’s friendliness. Its totally value for the money and treatment satisfaction is what I was seeking for.”
- Ms. Hamsika V. says: “I am delighted with the friendliness of the doctor. Dr. Sandeep Nayak is very professional and gentle in his approach and soft-spoken. He really got to the root of the problem and explained it to us in a detailed way. I am pleased that things went quite well, with his support and care.”
- Ms. Priya Rajesh says: “Dr. Nayak is amiable, punctual, and systematic though. I visited him with my grandmother to seek advice on her breast cancer, and it turned out really well. He talked to her in his native language and also clarified all our doubts regarding the issue. He spent much time with us explaining things. The test reports are still awaited but, we really liked our experience with the doctor in the first place.”
- Mr. Amit Agarwal says: “Dr. Sandeep Nayak is one of those few doctors who really took an interest in solving our problem. Firstly, he explained to us, my mom, and me about the whole problem with my mom in detail for half an hour. He then briefed us about the treatment procedure next. He was so warm in his gesture even for my next visit to him. I really thank god that such doctors exist even today, who work for passion and not making money simply.”
- Mrs. Kiran says: “Dr. Sandeep was beneficial and caring for my mother throughout the entire treatment procedure. It came as a shock for me when my mother was diagnosed with cancer. But Dr. Nayak was quite supportive and helped us plan out the whole procedure of treatment. Things went well, and now, my mom has been cured because of right and prompt treatment advice from Dr. Sandeep. Thanks, doctor, this wouldn’t have been possible without you.”