A bone marrow transplant is a medical procedure used to infuse healthy blood-forming stem cells into the body by replacing damaged or diseased bone marrow cells. Also known as a stem cell transplant, a bone marrow transplant can be required by anyone whose bone marrow stops working and becomes incapable of producing enough healthy blood cells. This can be a life-saving procedure for people with leukemia, lymphoma, or other blood-related diseases.
India is a favorable destination for medical tourism. Its low costs, large population, and well-developed healthcare infrastructure make it an attractive option for patients worldwide.
India also has a rich transplantation history, making it one of the most suitable countries in the world for this type of procedure, including advanced treatments such as stem cell therapy in India.
Take charge of your health and your life. Contact us today!
Continue reading to find out more about India's medical centers for bone marrow transplants.
Best Bone Marrow Transplant Hospital in India
India is renowned for its excellent service and hospitality, making it the top destination for medical tourism. India tops the list of nations that provide the best healthcare services, including advanced cancer treatments in India.
We have listed the best bone marrow transplant hospitals in India below, but before that, it's essential to know what to consider when choosing a hospital for cancer treatment.
Each hospital on the list satisfies the requirements listed above, offering modern equipment and facilities to the best oncologists. This guarantees they deliver high-quality care for cancer patients in India.
Let's have a look at Best Bone Marrow Transplant Hospital in India!
Address: Sector - 44, Opposite HUDA City Centre Gurgaon Haryana 122002 India
Address: Rao Saheb, Achutrao Patwardhan Marg, Four Bungalows, Andheri West Mumbai Maharashtra 400053 India.
67, Uttarahalli Main Rd, Sunkalpalya, Kengeri, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560060
439, Medavakkam Road, Perumbakkam, Cheran Nagar, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600100
Yashoda Cancer Institute, Hyderabad
9FFX+VXM, Jamal Colony, Old Malakpet, Hyderabad, Telangana 500036.
Are you concerned and trying to determine which medical professionals are the best for a bone marrow transplant?
The solution is here with us!
List of best doctors for bone marrow transplant in India
Bone marrow transplantation is a life-saving procedure that restores the blood cells of a person with Fanconi anemia. This type of transplant requires excellent surgical skills and experience, as well as adequate medical supplies, post-operative care, and supervision.
Many qualified surgeons in India have successfully performed bone marrow transplants on patients over the years. Treatment here is done with utmost care and respect, ensuring a peaceful and successful outcome for all patients. The country also boasts a well-developed healthcare infrastructure to support such treatment procedures seamlessly.
Here is the list of the best bone marrow transplant doctors in India.
Bone marrow transplant doctors in Mumbai
Dr. Suresh Advani
Qualification: MBBS, MD, general medicine.
Experience: 45 years
Practice: Jaslok Hospital, Raheja Hospital
Specialty: Oncologist Bone marrow transplant specialist.
Dr. Suresh Advani is India's first and best-known oncologist.
Dr. Sultan Pradhan
Qualification: MBBS, MS, Diploma in Hospital Administration.
Experience: 33 Years
Practice: Breach Candy Hospital.
Specialty: Oncology Surgery, Head and Neck Surgery
Dr. Sultan Pradhan, is one of India’s most respected surgical Oncologists.
Click here to find out more about the best oncologists in Mumbai.
Bone marrow transplant doctors in Delhi, NCR
Dr. Vinod Raina
Qualification: MBBS, MD, DM.
Experience: 43 years
Practice: Fortis Memorial Research Institute.
Specialty: Director & HOD, Medical oncology bone marrow transplant specialist.
Dr. Vinod Raina has performed approximately 400 bone marrow transplants and 250 allotransplants.
Dr. Vikas Dua
Qualification: MBBS, MD (Pediatrics), FIAP,FNB(PHO)
Experience: 23 Years
Practice: Fortis Memorial Research Institute
Specialty: Paediatric hematology, Haemato-oncology.
Dr. Vikas Dua has performed more than 800 Bone MarrowTransplants.
Click here to find out more about the best oncologists in Delhi.
Bone marrow transplant doctors in Bangalore
Dr. K Govind Babu
Qualification: MBBS, MD, DM.
Experience: 31 Years
Practice: HCG Cancer Centre
Specialty: Paediatric Oncology, haemato oncology.
Dr. Govind has treated more than 3,00,000 cases so far.
Dr. Radhe Shyam Naik
Qualification: MBBS, MD, DM.
Experience: 31 Years
Practice: Sammprada Cancer Centre
Specialty: Oncology, hematology, bone marrow transplantation.
Dr. Radhe Shyam Naik is a specialist in the specialtymanagement of a broad spectrum of cancers.
Click here to find out more about the best oncologists in Bangalore.
Bone marrow transplant doctors in Chennai
Dr. S Subramanian
Experience: 43 Years
Practice: VS Hospitals - Center for Advanced Surgeries
Specialty: Senior Medical Oncologist.
Dr. S Subramanian has a speciality in medical oncology for head and neck cancer.
Dr. Chezhian Subash
Qualification: MBBS, MRCP, FRCP.
Experience: 25 Years
Practice: MIOT International Hospitals
Specialty: Hematologic Oncologist.
Dr. Chezhian Subash has performed over 127 Bone Marrow Transplants.
Click here to find out more about the best oncologists in Chennai.
Bone marrow transplant doctors in Hyderabad
Qualification: MBBS, MD,MRCP FRCP
Experience: 27 Years
Practice: American Oncology Institute
Specialty: Haemato-oncology, Stem cell transplantation
Dr.Anil Aribandi has expertise in blood related disorders including leukemia, and bone marrow/stem cell transplants.
Dr. Padmaja Lokireddy
Qualification:MBBS, MD, MRCP,FRCP.
Experience: 24 Years
Practice: Apollo Health City Jubilee Hills.
Specialty: Clinical Haematologist and Bone marrow Transplant Specialist.
Dr Padmaja Lokireddy is one of the best Hemato Oncologist, Bone Marrow & Stem Cell Transplant surgeons (Consultant) in Hyderabad.
Click here to find out more about the best oncologists in Hyderabad.
Let us take a look at the different types of bone marrow transplants in India.
Want to inquire your about personalized treatment expenses? Don't hesitate. Talk to us today.
Types of bone marrow transplants performed in India.
There are 3 kinds of bone marrow transplants. Before the transplant, chemotherapy, radiation, or both may be given.
Autologous bone marrow transplant
|Allogeneic bone marrow transplant|
|Umbilical cord blood transplant|
Are you concerned about the cost? Read ahead to know it in detail.
Bone Marrow Transplant Cost in India
The average bone marrow transplant cost in India from 15 to 25 lakh INR (18,960 to 31,600 USD). Depending on the type of transplant and many other factors, This price may vary depending on the medical facility you choose to undergo the transplant and your location. There are many people in need of a bone marrow transplant all over the world, but the cost of the procedure can be prohibitive for some. However, this cost is quite affordable compared to developed nations.
Let us take a look at the difference in the cost of bone marrow transplant treatment in India.
|Types of bone marrow transplant||USD||INR|
Autologous bone marrow transplant
( Multiple Myeloma, Lymphoma, AML)
Allogeneic bone marrow transplant
(Sickle cell disease,Thalassemia)
Umbilical cord blood transplant
(SCID, ALL, CML, Lymphoma)
Country- wise Bone Marrow Transplant Costs
Let's discuss the city-wise bone marrow transplant cost in India!
Wondering why the costs are different?
Let's find which factors affect Bone Marrow Transplant Cost in India!
Factors Affecting Bone Marrow Transplant Cost in India
A bone marrow transplant's (BMT) price in India might change based on a number of variables. The following are some significant elements that might affect the price of a bone marrow transplant in India:
- Hospital and location: The cost can be considerably impacted by the hospital's choice and location. Compared to smaller towns or cities, major cities like Mumbai, Delhi, and Bangalore often have greater healthcare expenditures.
- Type of transplant: Autologous bone marrow transplants use the patient's own cells, whereas allogeneic transplants use the cells of a donor.
- Hospital stay and post-transplant care: The length of time a patient must spend in the hospital following a transplant, as well as the accompanying post-transplant treatment (medications, follow-up appointments, and lab tests), might affect the overall cost.
- Medical team and expertise: The cost of the transplant might be influenced by the knowledge and reputation of the medical team doing it. Higher costs for the services of highly skilled medical personnel and doctors are possible.
- Diagnostic tests and procedures: In order to assess the patient's health and establish whether they are a candidate for a transplant, a number of diagnostic tests and procedures are required prior to the transplant.
Bone Marrow Transplant India package
The particular package includes for a bone marrow transplant (BMT) in India might vary based on the institution and the treatment plan. A typical bone marrow transplant package in India, on the other hand, may comprise the following:
- Medical consultations.
- Pre-transplant investigations.
- Transplant procedure.
- Hospital stay.
- Medications and supportive care.
- Post-transplant follow-up.
Are you thinking about the quality of treatment compared to the affordable cost?
Well then, let's peek at how successful bone marrow transplantation is in India.
What is the bone marrow transplant success rate in India?
Due to the high success rate of bone marrow transplant procedures, India has gained popularity for this treatment. The success rate of bone marrow transplantation is high, and the government provides many benefits to those who undergo the procedure.
Here are a few pointers which prove the success rate of bone marrow transplants in India.
- India's best bone marrow transplant hospitals have a remarkable 60–90% success rate.
- India has a 60 to 85% success rate for bone marrow transplants.
- The success rates of bone marrow transplants have recently risen to 90%, making the patients feel at ease.
- Low cost and a high success rate prove India's best bone marrow transplant destination.
- Cost-effectiveness and trustworthiness make India an excellent choice for bone marrow transplant procedures.
Why choose India for a bone marrow transplant?
Well, you have already read about India's high success rate of bone marrow transplants, which depicts the answer to the above question.
are you still confused?
here are some reasons why you should choose a bone marrow transplant in India!
- You will find internationally accredited BMT centers in India.
- India is safe for a bone marrow transplant.
- India is one of those countries with skilled medical teams and advanced surgical facilities. The BMT doctors in India are exceptionally well-trained, qualified, and experienced.
- They are highly experienced and have participated in and led various cancer and BMT-centered research projects in countries like the USA, UK, Canada, etc.
- Bone marrow transplant price in India is more affordable than in many developed countries.
- The technology and infrastructure required for BMT are on par with those in developed countries.
In addition, the country offers a high success rate for bone marrow transplant outcomes. All these advantages make India an excellent choice for bone marrow transplantation.
Is free bone marrow transplant in India available?
Bone marrow transplant is an expensive procedure. However, there are very few institutions that provide it for free. Here are the details ahead.
1. The SCB MCH has performed 100 bone marrow transplants, making it the first government-run hospital in India and the second in Eastern India after Tata Medical Centre, Kolkata. The entire treatment procedure until recovery was free of cost and expended by the government.
In an article, the Head of the Clinical Hematology Department, Prof. Rabindra Kumar Jena mentioned that the program is unique in the entire nation as, so far, they have performed 100 surgeries completely free of charge for the patients.
2. BMT is a costly procedure that can cost many lakhs in private institutions, but at Chennai's Rajiv Gandhi Hospital, it was performed for free as part of the Chief Minister's Health Insurance Scheme. This good incident happened after the pandemic in 2021 when the hospital resumed performing BMT.
3. In recent news, it has been published that Mumbai's Kokilaben Hospital will conduct free-of-cost bone marrow transplants for underprivileged children with thalassemia and aplastic anemia. The Center's pan-India program yojana will cover the procedure's expenses. Children who require a bone marrow transplant will be provided up to Rs. 10 lacs. Maharashtra's state health department has issued around 11,000 health cards to thalassemia patients.
Dr. Mahendra Kendre highlights the need for more facilities to offer bone marrow transplants without any charges in order to save the lives of children from low-income families.
Is bone marrow transplant available in government hospitals in India?
Bone marrow transplant is a high-end procedure performed for critically ill patients to treat malignant and non-malignant conditions such as hemoglobinopathies, hematological cancers, aplastic anemia, and primary immunodeficiency disorders. Most hospitals are in the private sector thus restricting access to treatment for needy people.
In recent news, it was published that the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) intends to support medical institutions in setting up state-of-the-art infrastructure for BMT in government hospitals across India to ensure quality and accessibility.
The research institute is also working on setting up an institutional framework for hematopoietic cell transplantation. BMT services will be performed in compliance with the National Guidelines for Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation, 2021.
In accordance with this research strategy, the ICMR will establish several facilities that will cooperate to offer BMT procedures that are secure and reasonably priced in each of India's six geographical regions—the north, south, east, west, northeast, and central.
Let's know about the availability of an Insurance plan for bone marrow transplantation in India!
Insurance plan for bone marrow transplantation in India
Many Indian health insurance providers include bone marrow transplants in their critical illness health insurance plans. Please be aware, though, that aside from bone marrow surgery, most health insurance plans do not cover stem cell transplants. This indicates that the insurance plan does not cover some medical procedures.
Many critical illness health insurance plans cover the cost of bone marrow transplants using hematopoietic stem cells. A qualified medical professional must support the requirements for the transplant to qualify for this benefit.
There are several important factors to consider when claiming transplantation costs from your insurer. Since stem cell transplants need the participation of two people, the donor's fees are frequently paid but under rigorous conditions.
While the policy covers the policyholder, only in-patient hospitalization costs are covered in the case of donors. Thus, confirming these exclusions is crucial before signing up for any policy.
Here are some of the insurance institutions that cover fully or partially organ transplantation.
|HDFC Ergo’s (formerly known as Apollo Munich) Health Optima Vital Plan|
|Edelweiss Criticare Plan|
For both patients and their families, having a critical illness is a profoundly unpleasant experience. It is important to take the necessary safety measures which become crucial to have a health insurance plan with coverage. As it might at least be able to tackle such complicated diseases financially.
If you're not sure and would like to read in detail about BMT procedure, let's check ahead the processes followed for bone marrow transplants in India.
Your well-being is our priority - call us to book your appointment today
Bone Marrow Transplant Process
The surgeon provides a brief overview of the surgical process the day before the procedure. Before a bone marrow transplant, doctors do a number of tests to ascertain the sort of bone marrow cells that will be used.
In order to replace the bone marrow that has been damaged, a BMT often includes extracting cells from the patient and returning them. It seeks to implant the patient with healthy cells.
There are four stages listed below.
- Collection of cells
- Pre-transplant treatment
- Getting the cells back
For a closer look check out the steps here.
Do not forget to consider these things before going for bone marrow transplant in India!
Things to consider before going for Bone Marrow Transplant in India.
- Undergo a comprehensive medical evaluation to determine eligibility.
- Choose a reputed hospital with expertise in bone marrow transplants.
- Consider donor options for allogeneic transplants.
- Evaluate treatment costs and plan finances accordingly.
- Ensure a strong support system for emotional and physical assistance.
- Make necessary travel and accommodation arrangements if traveling for the transplant.
- Understand the importance of post-transplant follow-up care.
- Discuss potential risks and complications with healthcare providers before making a decision.
How can ClinicSpots help you with your bone marrow transplant?
ClinicSpots is an integrated medical platform connecting India’s best medical facilities and most efficient doctors with patients worldwide. We allow patients to search, compare and coordinate their medical treatments with trusted hospitals. Whether cancer, stem cell, heart disease treatment, or gender reassignment surgery, we cater to patients in every niche.
Here are the details of how ClinicSpots assist international patients in the following ways:
- Medical Counselling
- Help With Medical Visa Travel Guidance
- Assistance with Payment, Currency Exchange & Insurance
Step 1. Medical Counselling
Things You Should Know
Visit the Website
Connect on WhatsApp
Step 2: Help With Medical Visa Travel Guidance
Things You Should Know
Visa Invitation Letter
Stay & Bookings
Step 3: Assistance with Payment, Currency Exchange & Insurance
Things You Should Know
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is embryonic stem cell considered most useful?
Does stem cell therapy work?
What to expect after stem cell therapy? For speedier recovery, are there any post-treatment guidelines that need to be followed?
How to prepare for stem cell therapy?
Is stem cell therapy legal in India?
Is Bone Marrow Transplant a cure for Leukaemia?
What is the use of a bone marrow transplant?
Is India good at cancer treatment?